Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MS OS have just enough security to annoy users but not enough to stop hackers. It must be difficult maintaining that fine balance over so many incompatible releases.

BTW I don't have a smartphone/tablet etc. so I certainly don't want my main PC pretending to be a big tablet. How long before MS insist on users having a brain implant to interface with the OS? Would be v666 of course.

I really cannot see how W8 is a step backwards. It s faster and easier to work with than 7 and rock stable like 7.

Some stuff has moved around, but once you find them it s really faster and easier to work with.
Like no start button is needed since you just have to move your mouse to the bottom left corner to see the start page thumbnail and click it.
The start page is really easier to use than the start menu. Everything is easier to spot, and if you need something else, just start typing its name and poof it s there.

Some work is still required on the applications, but these things are expected on new OS versions.

This is also in effect a HUGE privacy violation, because how do you know what files are still on your hard drive(s) if you cannot see them and you must search for them inorder to know that they exist!??!?!!!
What do you mean by "don't know"? One can select "display hidden files" and "see them" all for as long as one have patience.

The same thing happens with applications settings, I've heard that the fix to this is to run all of your applications under Administrator, but that doesn't work for me, and is a rediculously stupid security flaw. (assuming that a Microsoft OS ever had any security at all.)
There is always a way how a developer can screw things up. If your app is written by one it is not a fault of OS. Sure if application will try to write it files to one of the secured locations it will require administrator privileges. I never had this issue.

What do you mean by "don't know"? One can select "display hidden files" and "see them" all for as long as one have patience.

There is always a way how a developer can screw things up. If your app is written by one it is not a fault of OS. Sure if application will try to write it files to one of the secured locations it will require administrator privileges. I never had this issue.

Notice how in xp the explorer window shows at least 100 files on the screen at any one point in time once you customize it?

Well with the W7 explorer window its still showing the older "you're too stupid to see more than 20 files in a window at the same time" view and it won't remember any settings to the contrary.

This is with the latest OEM release of w7

agreed, but a developer shouldn't have to rewrite a 10 year old application just to cater to microsoft's bad hair day mood and your and everyone elses misguided obvious love for everything shiney and new.

And neither should I have to change just because my friends tell me that I'm a dumbass for staying with windows XP, my computer isn't a ******* playground for their egoes its a serious tool.

If it says XP compatible mode on the tin it should say what it does dammit!

Do you know how many applications I have had to abandon when moving from XP to 7? 150 applications!!!!

I've got mathematics tools, really excellent CAD tools that cost thousands of dollars, MS Office 2007 (which works fine under 7 but still, why bother upgrading?), psud didnt for a long time run on 7 either, webcam tools, GPS time synchronization tools, ham radio decoding software that is so old that some 15 year olds were born after it!

And as for the modern replacements they are FULL of spyware, no really, its like giving your system a blank cheque to be invaded by hundreds of apps that drag their friends along for the ride too and lay waste to your system, its no wonder that windows 7 works best when its running on a SSD cause it needs it!!

All of which were useful in some way, are now useless and don't function at all or work and don't remember the settings under 7, and a TON of vintage games no longer work either, yes I'm one of those gamers, but I also play a lot of modern games too, and my system isn't just a gaming platform.

Microsot is a dumbass for abandoning the worlds largest application base, aka, XP and the only reason why I'm currently on 7 is because of WASAPI and as soon as I get a USB to I2S converter I'm going back to XP and dual booting linux.

Last edited:
I really cannot see how W8 is a step backwards. It s faster and easier to work with than 7 and rock stable like 7.

Some stuff has moved around, but once you find them it s really faster and easier to work with.
Like no start button is needed since you just have to move your mouse to the bottom left corner to see the start page thumbnail and click it.
The start page is really easier to use than the start menu. Everything is easier to spot, and if you need something else, just start typing its name and poof it s there.

Some work is still required on the applications, but these things are expected on new OS versions.

You know what that search bar gives to most people? a way to feel smart, if they are typing then they feel smarter, I however tend to want to not move my hand from the mouse to the keyboard just so I can eventually move my hand back to the keyboard inorder to double click on an icon.

Windows was always about clicking on things, not searching for things, especially when this file or this application is opened 100 or 200 times in a single day, its much easier to simply double click than it is to click, type a name, wait, then click again.

Now times that process of trying to remember the filename of a file 100 or 200x in a single day and you can see how the older original windows xp list view in explorer was much easier for me to handle.

And if I told you that there was spyware out there that was named after movies and music files, would you really want to search for it, then get a response that hides the filename extension and then click on it and become infected?

Or for this matter would you even notice any changes in your system like a different filename for an application that you are trying to look for?

Even an obviously glaring infection like that is hidden in windows 7 now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can still run BeOS (in Parallels)

Well, it used to run BeOS.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Parallels-OSs.gif
    Parallels-OSs.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 455
And if I told you that there was spyware out there that was named after movies and music files, would you really want to search for it, then get a response that hides the filename extension and then click on it and become infected?

Or for this matter would you even notice any changes in your system like a different filename for an application that you are trying to look for?

Even an obviously glaring infection like that is hidden in windows 7 now.

Its exactly this kind of blatant disreguard for safety and security that I am against the most when it comes to the sloppy code that microsoft and other os makers are putting out these days.

Like for example the lack of a Balance volume control in Windows 7's mixer, I could do with one because I'm very slightly deaf in one ear, but what is going on at microsoft that they would miss an obviously blatant feature? which was on xp?

I don't need it because a mixer plugin for foobar has fixed it, but its a hack none the less and every other app which makes a sound has its image shifted around.

I could also really do with a calculator on this ipad, I'm still deciding on what alternative to use, yes seriously, a calculator is no longer a default installation on iOS for the ipad now, wtf?? What do they expect us to use, google??? Do we have to go down to our local computer store and buy a copy of calculator on 5 1/4" floppy disk again? Nah theres the app store for that! screw that! Screw paying even just $1 for a simple calculator app.

This is the future of Windows, the app store is in Windows, and I would much rather stay with the proprietary apps which I have already bought on XP than to buy the same apps again and again and again whenever Microsoft turns to the side and coughs.

Steam I tolerate, because you need a net connection to play multiplayer anyway and their online multiplayer network is great, but going the iOS route and having to pay for even simple easy to code apps is just not on in my book.

I'll give you a life threatening example, infact I'll give you a couple of them:
Australian police warn against using Apple Maps application - Apple, ios 6 maps - Computerworld

and

Hospitals’ computer hardware also suffers from infection | Ars Technica

Notice how they didn't say windows 7? They're not playing older games on that hospital equipment... Whats shocking though is that they are using Windows at all and not some variant of Linux, but Linux does have its issues too, specifically driver issues, the people who make million dollar equipment do not want their drivers code released open source, hence you get the above scenario.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I hesitated to get win7 when I built a new computer. I installed dual boot fedora and win7 thinking that I'd use fedora more. I think I have booted fedora once in the two (maybe three) years since I built that computer.

I absolutely hated vista, win7 (with classic windows 2000 interface) I find mostly ok. There are a few annoying things, but in general it is quick and it works.

I for a very long time resisted the move to the Windows world and ran an amiga. It wasn't until around 95 that I switched to a pc.

The AmigaDos operating system was very sophisticated. I believe it was the first fully premptive multitasking OS available on a personal computer. It was originally written for a mainframe but the company building the mainframe went belly up, and it founds its way onto the amiga 1000, a computer that was WAY ahead of its competitors at the time.

Tony.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
and rising, might aswell tack on all of the ios and android users onto that number too, which are linux based, ios is based upon osx, lets face it, its windows which is the odd one out these days.

ios: 365 million
iOS by the numbers: 365 million devices sold, 150 billion iMessages sent, 80 percent of users on iOS 5 | The Verge
android: 1 Billion by Nov 2013
When will Android reach one billion users? | asymco
Windows: 1.25 Billion.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-charge-few-numbers

OSX/iOS is based on BSD Unix, not Linux.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I could also really do with a calculator on this ipad, I'm still deciding on what alternative to use, yes seriously, a calculator is no longer a default installation on iOS for the ipad now, wtf??

Apple is smart to leaveroom for developers, they are the lifeblood of every platform. There are over a dozen free calculators on the ap store. Personally i bought PCalc -- well worth the $10.

I'll give you a life threatening example, infact I'll give you a couple of them: Australian police warn against using Apple Maps application

Truly unfortunate, Apple was premature in transitionng to their own maps, heads did roll. But not unique. Last winter Canadian couple followed the instructions of a well reguarded GPS ap in their car and ended up stranded in the backwoods of Oregon, 1 dead, 1 lucky to to have been found at all.

dave

Apple is smart to leaveroom for developers, they are the lifeblood of every platform. There are over a dozen free calculators on the ap store. Personally i bought PCalc -- well worth the $10.

I tend to want my PC to be untethered from the internet as much as possible and as for this ipad I care less about that, however with the basic calculator app there is truly no need to remove it from the bundled software.

Now, is this morally acceptable? no, its not, because forcing people to pay $1 for a calculator application (x this by a billion) when a simple calculator application is so easy to program isn't in my book very good for the people out there who might have lucked out and bought a iphone or ipad and will need a calculator.

Truly unfortunate, Apple was premature in transitionng to their own maps, heads did roll. But not unique. Last winter Canadian couple followed the instructions of a well reguarded GPS ap in their car and ended up stranded in the backwoods of Oregon, 1 dead, 1 lucky to to have been found at all.

dave

What about putting some of the blame on google? I'm sure there will be an immense apocalyptic uproar of people coming out to defend against this viewpoint but Google have basically set up a timed bomb for Apple by giving apple's users the excellent maps that Google Maps had on iOS, building up an immense userbase of 1 billion users worldwide (that figure is platform independent), and then Apple dumping a large chunk of that userbase at the wrong time.

But yes it was very stupid of Apple to drop Google Maps and release Apple Maps when it had such an immense following, but where is the moral accountability? Shouldn't the early Beta testers of iOS 6 blown the horn? What about the accountability of a corporation? Apple should be held accountable for those deaths.

I suspect however that inside the confines of Apple there was some sort of pressure to get off of Google maps as soon as possible. When you import a map database from TomTom and quickly write a frontend for it then don't even spend time to errorcheck it, some people would say that you are in a rush to get a product out the door.

No doubt google is going to end up gaining an immense number of new users from this manuver too for their Android devices and what with Google releasing Street View on Garmin app for iOS soon..

Google Maps Street View Comes To iOS 6 (Thanks To Garmin) | WebProNews

So on one hand we have a Calculator app which should have been bundled with a iOS as a matter of ethical principle and on the other hand we have an Apple Maps app which was bundled but shouldn't have been? How weird.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.