Don't buy a PC with Windows 8 installed! Until you read this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You mean forcing a user to download their choice of free calculators (hopefully the one that best suits them)... personally a calculator is useless to me if it isn't RPN.

An iPad independent of the interweb is a freakish use of it.

dave

I found the free ones to be dreadful.

"Calculator%" has billiard tables for the buttons and makes using the app very unprofessional and even makes me question the accuracy of it considering it looks like something that a toddler has written.

"Calculator+" has a memory clear fault.

"Calculator#" requires me to tap on annoying popups twice when launching it but its otherwise fine.

"CalculatorHD" has an extremely annoying banner at the bottom but is otherwise fine afaik.

"Calculator" forces me to rotate the ipad 90 degrees to the right then tap on an annoying popup box and then type on amazingly large buttons, designed for the iphone interface.

"Calculator." has an annoyingly large button surface that has my hands going all over a 9 inch screen.

"Cal" would be perfect if it wasnt for the "Follow us on twitter" button that pops up every time you launch it, this is the best contender so far.

"CalculatorZ" would have to be the worst offender, I couldn't even get into the app after closing 2x dialog boxes and a fullsize window then it blocked me on a huge swipe screen that I couldnt swipe, I'm not going to deal with this ******** everytime I want to use an app.

See what I mean? I just want a simple - + and / x calculator that launches straight up and has no bull.

Cal will suffice for now.

If this is going to be the future of windows 8 then I would rather jump over to XP and GNU/Linux, yes the apps can be substituted but why bother, I already hate both the 7 and 8 interfaces.

Last edited:
It might be my age or that I am an ex IBMer but I still miss OS2.

I liked that one too. My (now ex) wife worked at IBM and signed me up as a beta tester back in version 2.something. The beta support guy was always amused by my calls. "Explain to me why you put the printer (icon) in the shredder?" "To see what would happen, now how do I get my printer back?"

Things got serious when I brought OS/2 Warp Connect (with an X windows add on) into work and figured out how to connect into the Sun Sparc network and run simulations that were viewed on my PC. The network guys didn't have a clue. I tried to explain that they really didn't need to put a Sparc 10 on every engineers desk, but they did it anyway. I got one and never used it.

I got a copy of Windows 8 and installed it on a spare machine. I still haven't figured out how to do half of what I can do with XP or 7.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I found the free ones to be dreadful.

I dug a bit deeper on your behalf... there is a free lite version of the calculator i happily paid $10 for (on my Mac, i don't own an iPad, and the iPhone a customer gave serves as an SPL meteralmost exclusivily).

App Shopper: PCalc Lite - The Best Free Calculator (Utilities)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Seitchble from a real calculator (RPN) to the god awful more common calculator UI. Also mutable looks & layout

If that doesn't make you happy then there is no hope for you.

dave

Notice how in xp the explorer window shows at least 100 files on the screen at any one point in time once you customize it?

Well with the W7 explorer window its still showing the older "you're too stupid to see more than 20 files in a window at the same time" view and it won't remember any settings to the contrary.

This is with the latest OEM release of w7

Select "Details" and then Organize -> Folder And Search option -> View tab -> (here you can select to view hidden files and extensions) -> Apply to Folders.
That fixed file display problem for my 3 desktops and 4 laptops running Win 7 Home/Pro/Ultimate

agreed, but a developer shouldn't have to rewrite a 10 year old application just to cater to microsoft's bad hair day mood and your and everyone elses misguided obvious love for everything shiney and new.

And neither should I have to change just because my friends tell me that I'm a dumbass for staying with windows XP, my computer isn't a ******* playground for their egoes its a serious tool.

If it says XP compatible mode on the tin it should say what it does dammit!

Do you know how many applications I have had to abandon when moving from XP to 7? 150 applications!!!!

I've got mathematics tools, really excellent CAD tools that cost thousands of dollars, MS Office 2007 (which works fine under 7 but still, why bother upgrading?), psud didnt for a long time run on 7 either, webcam tools, GPS time synchronization tools, ham radio decoding software that is so old that some 15 year olds were born after it!

And as for the modern replacements they are FULL of spyware, no really, its like giving your system a blank cheque to be invaded by hundreds of apps that drag their friends along for the ride too and lay waste to your system, its no wonder that windows 7 works best when its running on a SSD cause it needs it!!

All of which were useful in some way, are now useless and don't function at all or work and don't remember the settings under 7, and a TON of vintage games no longer work either, yes I'm one of those gamers, but I also play a lot of modern games too, and my system isn't just a gaming platform.

Microsot is a dumbass for abandoning the worlds largest application base, aka, XP and the only reason why I'm currently on 7 is because of WASAPI and as soon as I get a USB to I2S converter I'm going back to XP and dual booting linux.
Well, you want security ("no I don't want to run all this old stuff as the admin") and you want the old apps to do whatever they want with your file system at the same time? You can't have both, so these apps either will be restricted in what they can modify, or you need to allow them to do whatever they (or clever hacker who will write an exploit) desire.

You also can run apps in compatibility mode which helps sometime. If it doesn't help, well there is always VMWare and likes.
Also everything works better on SSD :)

I took up the Win 8 beta version to develop some software.
I wrote the software and tested it fine.

Then the RTM version of Win 8 came out and my software would no longer compile !
I had to download a new version of Visual Studio which took 7 hours.
I had to restart a project in Visual Studio and import my previous version a bit at a time !
So Win 8 was even compatible with Win 8 !

I took up the Win 8 beta version to develop some software.
I wrote the software and tested it fine.

Then the RTM version of Win 8 came out and my software would no longer compile !
I had to download a new version of Visual Studio which took 7 hours.
I had to restart a project in Visual Studio and import my previous version a bit at a time !
So Win 8 was even compatible with Win 8 !
Visual Studio refused to open a projects from the previous version? What kind of project was this?

I rang Microsoft support and asked if I could simply buy windows 8, disable Metro and then end up with windows 7, but for 1/3 the price - they said yes.
I'm unsure if there has to be a working system, for the windows 8 installation to start. Even though they say that windows 8 makes a clean install, since they can upgrade from an XP.
But I'm not building a new rig anytime now and XP runs fine.
Best thing about Windows 7, is that drivers are found quickly - most of the time.

for desktop use, just unistall every metro app, dont use a "live account", add your favorite software (ie. mpc-hc and foobar for media) and get used to clicking on the windows key for menu and clicking right mouse buton on bottom left corner for pretty much everything else, and 8 will not be too bad...I actually like accesing the menu without moving the cursor to a specific point and organize "by coordinates" the menu.

for desktop use, just unistall every metro app, dont use a "live account", add your favorite software (ie. mpc-hc and foobar for media) and get used to clicking on the windows key for menu and clicking right mouse buton on bottom left corner for pretty much everything else, and 8 will not be too bad...I actually like accesing the menu without moving the cursor to a specific point and organize "by coordinates" the menu.
So I will still have to install some sort of 3'rd party software to have it look and work like windows 7?
I thought that windows 8, deep down, was just a windows 7, with wannabe mobile-touch-features - or?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Argumentative here? Based, descendent, modified, updated, etc... Mach as a replacement is still based on BSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_(kernel)

The project at Carnegie Mellon ran from 1985 to 1994, ending in apparent failure with Mach 3.0, which was finally a true microkernel. Mach was developed as a replacement for the kernel in the BSD version of UNIX, so no new operating system would have to be designed around it. Today further experimental research on Mach appears to have ended, although Mach and its derivatives are in use in a number of commercial operating systems, such as NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, and most notably Mac OS X using the XNU operating system kernel which incorporates an earlier (non-microkernel) Mach as a major component. The Mach virtual memory management system was also adopted by the BSD developers at CSRG, and appears in modern BSD-derived UNIX systems, such as FreeBSD. Neither Mac OS X nor FreeBSD maintain the microkernel structure pioneered in Mach, although Mac OS X continues to offer microkernel inter-process communication and control primitives for use directly by applications.

dave

I currently run five computers, for various purposes; one XP Home, one XP Pro, one Vista, one Windows 7 Pro, and one Windows 7 Ultimate. By judicious configuration of the desktops (and some freeware add-ins for Vista and 7), for the kinds of things that I need, the user interfaces and day-to-day operations on all five appear virtually identical. It can be done.

I haven't tried Windows 8, but I suspect that the same is true.

Famous last words, I suppose you are going to need to know how to turn it off, in which case this will help: Windows 8 : How to Turn Off, Put it to Sleep or Restart - YouTube

I actually loved OS/2 Warp, I was running a BBS for a while and that was the platform for it to multitask dos applications on, so I had callers dialling in on the line while I was logged in locally and playing games with them, it was sweet.

I currently run five computers, for various purposes...

I have several PC's here for various things. Some are just simple single use boxes, like DVR's or audio analyzers, and three are full featured do everything boxes. Several OS's are used including XP, Vista, 7 and Ubuntu. They all do what I ask of them with slightly different UI's with one exception. The Vista bos will randomly screw up once a week or so. It has been very reliable about that since I built it. Unfortunately it is my main machine for Tubelab.....but its days are numbered. Once this 7 machine with 5TB of disk, 16G of ram and a core i5 overclocked to 4.2 GHz proves its reliability the Vista box will either be smashed to bits, or become a DVR. That's really all it can be relied on for.

I have an 8 box still in pieces, but it's really too soon to tell on how it works. I am building a 20 inch "man sized" laptop with a core i3-3225 chip and 16 G ram, all running on battery power. The hardware is working, the OS......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.