Help our son 13 wants to build an Ipod dock - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2012, 07:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help our son 13 wants to build an Ipod dock

Its for a school design technology project, he hasnt seen the brief yet but thinks it will be using acrylic plastic.
Any thoughts or inspiration will be greatfully recieved.
Oh being an engineer I will give him a helping hand
Old 24th November 2012, 08:10 AM   #2
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

what generation of ipod? this matters. I would shoot for the 30 pin dock connector.

is this a cry for help or a serious request?

manufacturing the actual dock connector is impossible unless you own a factory, so just buy a dock and steal the one from that, then make up a 5v power supply to power it on the right pins, maybe tap into the analog output pins, and then build a simple chip amp to amplify the audio coming from it.

then crack open a beer, sit back and relax.

Last edited by freax; 24th November 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 24th November 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Its a touch 3rd generation think
Old 24th November 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 30-way iPod dock connectors are not available to the public so hacking an existing dock is definitely your easiest option. They're a pain to solder by hand anyway (I know..)

The cradle the iPod sits in needs to be fairly precise so if you can cut out and re-use the base of the donor hardware then your iPod stands a better chance of avoiding damage to its connector.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
what generation of ipod? this matters. I would shoot for the 30 pin dock connector.
is this a cry for help or a serious request?
No its real, we built a simple guitar amp a few months ago.
So this is progress as he is keen so I need to cultivate this interst
Old 24th November 2012, 10:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
buy a standard usb charger cable and build that into the new dock body.

You'll need one of the more recent short plug versions that don't have the little buttons to release the ipod - USB Sync/Charging Cable

Alternatively you could up the spec and use -RCA Composite AV Lead Cable Video to TV USB charger cable so that the ipod can go straight to your amp.

If extra credit is given for cool bits maybe he could add little buttons on either side of the dock that depress the release buttons on the connector?

If you are really going for it ad dont mind spending buy a pure i-20. Its a charger/24/196 dac for the ipod with remote and gives you standard RCA output as well as optical & digital output. Its in dire need of a makeover and uber techy for a school project

Last edited by JRKO; 24th November 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 24th November 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKO View Post
buy a standard usb charger cable and build that into the new dock body.

You'll need one of the more recent short plug versions that don't have the little buttons to release the ipod - USB Sync/Charging Cable

Alternatively you could up the spec and use -RCA Composite AV Lead Cable Video to TV USB charger cable so that the ipod can go straight to your amp.

If extra credit is given for cool bits maybe he could add little buttons on either side of the dock that depress the release buttons on the connector?

If you are really going for it ad dont mind spending buy a pure i-20. Its a charger/24/196 dac for the ipod with remote and gives you standard RCA output as well as optical & digital output. Its in dire need of a makeover and uber techy for a school project
Thanks
Thats some very good tips. We are off to the car boot sale tomorrow to see what donor speakers and bits and bobs we can fine.
Those leads are perfect as I dont want it to complex for him
Old 24th November 2012, 11:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
I think maybe I misunderstood what you meant by dock. I was thinking simple charging station....you seem to mean an amp/speakers/charging doohicky

This is a great amp that you can power with a battery of 9-24v depending on your output requirement. It can also be powered by a wall wart of your choice. This amp will need a line level input so get a LOD (line put dock) cable like this strip the wires and connect to the inputs.

As for the built in speakers....It depends on how high your tolerance is for him playing bad music loudly These are amazing for their size and if you copy the cabinet volume you'll be on to a winner. There is a whole thread on Audiokarma about redoing the crossover to make them pretty awesome

If you are going external speakers then older Wharfedales are good value for money and sound nice too

Hide this!Advertise here!