Time domain distortion - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 10:13 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Mr_push_pull, do you think I can read this cind stau pe tron?
nu cred, e genul de carte care trebuie parcursa cu atentie. doctorii spun ca sederea prelungita pe tron e nesanatoasa.

(he asked if it's the type of book that can be read while satisfying certain physiological needs, I responded that I don't thinks so, it requires sustained attention and doctors say that prolonged sitting on that specific device is unhealthy).
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:16 AM   #32
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That is indeed it, and you may find that it is a pleasant accompaniment while sitzen in dem kleinsten Zimmer in Ihrem Hause (to paraphrase Max Reger).
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:30 AM   #33
cvjoint is offline cvjoint  United States
diyAudio Member

That's why I always rely on 9 out of 10 doctors for my information.

You guys are hilarious, in a "Big Bang Theory" kinda way. I'm just going to read yall's posts in Sheldon's voice from now on. Proceed.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:03 AM   #34
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint
The President has a counsel, or two, he doesn't go out and read every book there is. It must be there are ways to acquire information that is faster than learning everything from scratch.
Yes, you pay someone else to think for you. That is what presidents and managers do. The result is that they sometimes make bad decisions based on their misunderstanding of what they have been told.

It is a characteristic of people who lack knowledge of a field that they often do not understand their own questions, let alone the answers. That is fine provided they realise that. The fundamental difference between a wise person and a fool is not how much they know, but how well they recognise the boundaries of their knowledge.

You can get so far with Fourier-type tools by just knowing that they tell you how much of a particular frequency is present. You can get further by knowing that phase information matters too, even though many tools hide this. Then you need to understand that FFT involves sampling, which then brings in issues about Shannon sampling theory and windowing. Eventually a wise person accepts that there are only two choices: learn the maths, or remain somewhat in the dark.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:08 AM   #35
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The book I recommended has very clear illustrations about the fundamentals of Shannon and Nyquist. Lots of pictures.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:51 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Yes, you pay someone else to think for you. That is what presidents and managers do. The result is that they sometimes make bad decisions based on their misunderstanding of what they have been told.
tell me about it. it may seem a naive look on things but it's true, sometimes (as in not always) they simply have no idea.
I remember when, at an ex employer, the engineering team was surprised to find that one of the managers didn't know that there were 2 MCU's in the project we were developing. movie like moment with the guy shrugging and going "well, somehow I get by without knowing it" LOL
I left them but somehow I'm not surprised to find that meanwhile the department is not doing so great and quality issues are constantly reported by customers. I find it funny how they always blame it on the engineers, exactly what W. Edwards Deming thought was not the thing to do.

Quote:
It is a characteristic of people who lack knowledge of a field that they often do not understand their own questions, let alone the answers.
another story. mr push pull is at work, stands and says to himself "ok, I really don't get it, I have to ask X". he goes to X's office and starts phrasing the question. stops in the middle of the sentence and goes "oh, now that I really think about it...". X tries to comfort mr push pull by saying "happens a lot to me too". moral? sometimes we think we try our hardest but we don't, really. the right question may contain 90% of the answer.

and on the subject... a concise, hands-on kind of book that, while not at all focused on audio, deals with part of the issues discussed here is "The DSP Guide". I read it when I was a student and as far as I remember it does the job. it is free for download here: The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing's Table of Content printed version also available.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 22nd November 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:04 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull
another story. mr push pull is at work, stands and says to himself "ok, I really don't get it, I have to ask X". he goes to X's office and starts phrasing the question. stops in the middle of the sentence and goes "oh, now that I really think about it...". X tries to comfort mr push pull by saying "happens a lot to me too". moral? sometimes we think we try our hardest but we don't, really. the right question may contain 90% of the answer.
I used to work in software development. We discovered something we called 'the cardboard cutout effect'. When someone had a nasty bug in his newly-written software he would describe the code in detail to a colleague and hope the colleague could spot the problem. We found that the act of explaining the code often resulted in the author finding his own bug. Thus the colleague could be replaced by a life-size picture.

Some questions contain 90% of the answer. Other questions include assumptions which mean that the right answer may be rejected by the questioner.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:32 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thus the colleague could be replaced by a life-size picture.
and now you say? I used to keep a (3 years old) calendar with two barely dressed girls hanging on the wall near me at work...
(somehow no-one really noticed until a manager from US visited. I got to learn a few things about political correctness and how the slightest sexual implication while at work is not well regarded in US. don't mind me, I'm really tired.)
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:32 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

That wasn't the kind of picture I had in mind. The picture has to be of an experienced programmer, otherwise the effect does not work. Only a senior nerd would try to explain code to a barely dressed girl.
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:27 PM   #40
cvjoint is offline cvjoint  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

It is a characteristic of people who lack knowledge of a field that they often do not understand their own questions, let alone the answers. That is fine provided they realise that. The fundamental difference between a wise person and a fool is not how much they know, but how well they recognise the boundaries of their knowledge.

You can get so far with Fourier-type tools by just knowing that they tell you how much of a particular frequency is present. You can get further by knowing that phase information matters too, even though many tools hide this. Then you need to understand that FFT involves sampling, which then brings in issues about Shannon sampling theory and windowing. Eventually a wise person accepts that there are only two choices: learn the maths, or remain somewhat in the dark.
When you study speakers I'm sure all this can work the way you mean it too, and the best and brightest should lead the pack. When you have to deal with social issues, there is always a stochastic component to human behavior, an irrational part, etc. In social sciences decisions must be made and lines have to be drawn and different advisers perfectly capable of applying science to social behavior often get conflicting results and it's not because of an adding up error.

There are only 24 hours in the day and we spend a huge chunck sleeping, but more importantly we each only have 24hr. One that spends his work hours learning how to manage may have to forgo the benefit of learning Fourier theory. I'm not saying skills are accurately priced in the market but I do support the division of labor.

Hide this!Advertise here!