Short wave Valve transmittor :) what valve is best? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2012, 12:15 AM   #51
sco1t is offline sco1t  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

thanks for the advice, and don't worry I know not to use antenna... I found out that there is a radio club near me. Should I ask them what I should to?
Old 18th November 2012, 12:18 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

They still look for unlicensed TV's but don't worry we have a TV license
Old 18th November 2012, 03:04 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I found out that there is a radio club near me. Should I ask them what I should to?
They will tell you what we are telling you. Some of us are longtime, knowledgeable radio guys.

Radio transmissions are legally regulated down to the molecule in most countries, but there are mostly good reasons for the laws.

But if you are interested in radio, check it out! Or pick up a few books and read up. It is a very interesting field.
Old 18th November 2012, 04:11 AM   #54
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Roberts View Post
They will tell you what we are telling you. Some of us are longtime, knowledgeable radio guys.
Maybe not in such a calm and timid manner as you would find on this forum :P

Be aware of that.

"I want to build a radio transmitter that transmitts on shortwave!"
"Do you have a licence?"
"No, I want to use it to transmit to my vintage radio across the room"
"Oh you mean an AM MW transmitter"
"No I mean a shortwave transmitter"
"#(*(#@*(#@@(*"!!!!"
"*Looks shocked*"

You had better rethink your name of this transmitter and NOT use Shortwave in the name, use "AM Transmitter".

And yes, do it from a kit, its the only way that you will keep it safe to use and then you won't be afraid to turn it on and use it!
Old 18th November 2012, 05:06 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

hi, I know this may sound silly but what's the difference between MW AM and SW AM bands? They both have music stations on them. If you think it's safer and better I will only use MW AM because the only reason I was trying to use SW was because it sounds better but MW would do.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:17 AM   #56
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

sco1t, you need to use the computer to search and read what this stuff is... the difference between MW and SW is well documented. Easy to find.

and yes go join your local radio club, get urself information about ham radio, study for your ham license, visit their stations, etc...

...that may be the best thing to come out of your interest in this project.

keep in mind that some of the people in ham radio clubs don't have the best people skills, but any of them with half a clue will welcome a new person, and if ur young (as I suspect) then they ought to roll out the red carpet if they have any sense... most won't, but you may find a mentor amongst the group if you take ur time, listen with your brain in receive mode, and be respectful.

_-_-bear
Old 19th November 2012, 12:23 PM   #57
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The OP appears to be at the level of someone who wishes to make a bicycle, but he can't work out why wheels are round and hopes to manage without using a chain.

Join your local radio club, and follow their advice. As others have said, they will tell you the same as we are telling you. In order to legally build a transmitter you need at least an Intermediate Licence in the UK (IIRC - I was licenced years ago under the old rules). Even then it would not be for the broadcast bands, but amateur bands.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:44 PM   #58
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

this thread = me 10 years ago, this guy needs kits and lots of them, something simple to build thats good bang for the buck
Old 19th November 2012, 05:18 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Df96 needs to learn his manners a bit more and learn not to judge some one so soon.
I've managed to make lots of things just never transmitters. I know I need to lean lots more and I am . Radio seems to be a very interesting so when I know enough I'll do what's needed to get an armature licence. My old valve radio can pick up from 15 meters to 49 meters. there is 2 or 3 mature bands in there so says this book lol... I have transistor sw radios too but they are rubbish
Thanks for the advice....
Should I still try making a very low power MW transmitter or kits first??
Old 19th November 2012, 05:22 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

whoops I missed the A off amateur

Hide this!Advertise here!