Short wave Valve transmittor :) what valve is best? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 03:54 AM   #41
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

thats not exactly what he's referring to, if you transmit on the shortwave band at all (even at 0.01 watt) you WILL get ham radio operators making a very angry phone call to your local police station. and he is referring to harmonics caused by the transmitter, which could end up on ANY part of the spectrum.

Don't build and design your own transmitter, that requires years of experience to do right.

NO emission on the shortwave band is allowed without a licence, even if its a free section, it might not be! thats the rules that you must adhere to when you get a ham radio licence.

Put it on the AM Broadcast band!

DON'T ASSUME that a piece of band is free! it might be used at a certian part of the day.

Last edited by freax; 17th November 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 03:58 AM   #42
sco1t is offline sco1t  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have checked it is still a music band and can not be used for anything else but analog music // audio ???
Old 17th November 2012, 04:01 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

and that much power cant get past 2 meters so it can't ofect anything I promise
Old 17th November 2012, 04:11 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

sorry I also forgot to say shortwave is part of the AM band. don't you have it on your radio?? anyway night all
Old 17th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #45
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1t
In the uk there is no shortwave or long wave radio stations any more just an empty band.
Not true.

Quote:
and the transmitter output will be checked and tested,
Your answers so far give us cause to doubt this.

Note that very low power FM transmitters have a specific exemption from the normal rules, and CB radio is restricted to type-approved sets only. In both cases DIY is not a legal option.

The only legal solution in the UK is to use sufficiently low power that the transmission cannot be detected beyond the boundaries of your property. To do this you either need the right knowledge and the willingness to use it, or buy a suitable kit. If you really knew what you were doing then you might just be able to do it with a valve, but I would still not recommend it.

If you want to learn about transmitters then get an amateur radio licence.
Old 17th November 2012, 10:02 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I was reading about amateur licences I just need to pass a C&G exam after some training to get one... and oh I would ask some one else to test the transmitter
Old 17th November 2012, 10:14 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1t View Post
I just need to pass a C&G exam
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco1t View Post
Mr culture...you sound crazy
Good luck, but if you ever do, don't be too surprised if one day you find yourself repeating roughly what I said to somebody else who sounds not a lot different from what you do now.
Old 17th November 2012, 10:17 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

ok and sorry, I understand why you were worried about me transmitting on AM..
Old 18th November 2012, 12:00 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Should you decide to embark upon this path:

do NOT use an ANTENNA!!

Use a DUMMY LOAD!

It will work well enough and it may help you if you run into any legal issues.

The easiest thing is to find a cheap, used signal generator and modulate it... some have modulator inputs. RF generators should not be expensive or difficult to find. Old tube ones.

RF generators sold as test equipment also have one other benefit, they do NOT require a license to use.

Learn more about the uses of the shortwave bands before deciding what is on, and what does what.
I can say with some certainty that you don't know at this point, and you need to know these things
before you try anything you propose to do.

_-_-bear

Last edited by bear; 18th November 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:08 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Speaking of which, isn't your country the one where they drive around in vans trying to spot TVs that are not *licensed*?? Or have they stopped doing that sort of thing?

_-_-

Hide this!Advertise here!