Short wave Valve transmittor :) what valve is best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was meaning a cb to talk to people not music my friend has one and gosh can't even use real radios to talk to people now? can I still use my phone? :). I understand what you mean though. In my dad's CB book it says filters must be fitted to the antenna to block outgoing VHF/UHF interference.

Yeah thats referring to a TVI filter which you can still get off ebay, yes you can setup a CB radio and talk to your friends without a licence until they're blue in the face, but if you're under 18 years of age I wouldn't advise it as there is a lot of swearing going on that band, and a lot of morons. usually you just move up a channel or two or 10, and then the morons stay on their channel, usually, however this is a public medium with a very long range, you could talk to the entire country with just one press of a key, and when the conditions are right, across the globe on SSB.

But that also allows a lot of morons to come in and ruin your day/evening by swearing at you and calling you names when they're drunk and their wives have just ticked them off, because with CB everyone can own one, even criminals, this is no different with HAM but there is generally a lot less morons on HAM bands than there are on CB because its usually a lot more difficult for a moron to get his HAM licence than it is for a moron to buy a CB radio and install it on their car or home.

Its generally a good idea to fit a TVI filter to the coax lead that is coming out the back of your radio, they can just snap on in the case of a ferrite bead type or they can go in-line inbetween your swr meter and your radio.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clip-on-...n_Radio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564ce4f17e

I'm gonna assume you have/are using RG58 coax (It should say on the cable)

Go to your local HAM club too and get your licence, then you can get the better radios with more bands to talk to other people on, around the globe if you want, and then someday you might be able to get a broadcasters licence.

This is the wrong approach to go however if you want to become a DJ, I would go to your local school or see a music tutor/teacher for more information for training in that area.

Frankly if I had to choose between the fame and fortune of becoming a DJ versus the lonely existence of being a professional HAM radio operator, I'd choose the DJ route. Either route gets your voice on the air, being a HAM can get you some very interesting jobs, but if I was to choose between the two I'd go with a DJ route. HAM's aren't allowed to broadcast music, not unless they work also as a DJ at their local radio station (Take a look at Art Bell's career) , the only career path that lets you broadcast music over the air is the DJ one, so combining the two forms will get you experience behind the microphone with being a HAM combined with the experience of being a DJ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell#Amateur_radio

Working in a radio station is a combination of being a DJ and a HAM, you need the technical skills inorder to setup/work on and operate the equipment/mixing boards and you can do double duty as a DJ and as a technician so you will be more likely hired by radio stations. Being a HAM is a hobby, or a career, and for it to be a career you need big bucks to pay for college education.

If you're young, then being a DJ would give you skills that would be useful in the HAM hobby later on anyway and by this I mean gaining the confidence to talk to anyone, which is the most important thing you can do IMHO.

I've heard about kids/teenagers who have their advanced ham licences at this or that age, but frankly this requires a lot of help from their fathers and/or teachers, its not that easy when you just have yourself to educate you.

Last edited:
freax, ur funny.

sco1t, transmitters are fun. but you need to be within bounds. nothing wrong with CB, go for it. as mentioned, visit ur ham radio club. get ur ideas in line with what is legal and possible, then you can have big fun with it.

personally, having done FM broadcast radio AND being a licensed *amateur* radio operator (not a "professional ham") I can tell you that both are really fun avocations and neither is a viable way to earn money, unless you are very fortunate (few do or can).

and, at least here in the USA getting a ham license is today pretty easy, since no morse code is required. So, any sharp teenager could handle that.

Oh, a snap on ferrite will do next to nothing to attenuate spurious emissions, only an in-line LP filter will work. But almost all stock CB radios are clean enough to not worry about that these days... running illegal linear amps, that's a different story. If you want to run power, get a ham license. If you can't master the 200 questions in the question pool, then you should get a different hobby - fast.

_-_-

Do somebody now what this is, I read pulses between 8 and 9.2 Ghz with a specctran HF-60102 who max is 9,4 Ghz.

I do have a nabure who radiate me because she want to disturb mine hobby and do not like me so try to get me moved from mine home, I do not like to live in such high frequencies, it is full reading sometimes, I did also think of the smart meters, maybe these transmit to communicate with each other, problem is it interfere with measuring equipment who need ring cores now.

A EL84 can go to 100 Mhz, I have one a long time ago.

YouTube

DSCN2672 - YouTube

thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.