HELP ME PEOPLE FROM THE US!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default HELP ME PEOPLE FROM THE US!!

I need help. Im from australia and have just recently built a 60ltr subwoofer enclosure using 1inch thick mdf. I want to paint it but the paint i am after is only in the US. I was wondering if someone would be able to purchase 2 cans of KRYON MAKE IT STONE! OBSIDIAN 340g Spray paint and send it to me. This is my last resort. I hope theres someone out there who can help me.

my email is mitch.campleman@gmail.com

email me if you can help me out.

many many regards mitch.

Oh and just to clear something up. I made this thread in the solid state section as it was the most viewed section at the time.

heres a link of the paint on amazon:

Krylon K18212 Make It Stone! Textured Aerosol Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Obsidian - Amazon.com
Old 14th November 2012, 08:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Aerosol in the mail - surely you jest?
Old 14th November 2012, 08:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

jest?
Old 14th November 2012, 08:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are laws and restrictions in the Dangerous Goods Act here and in other countries, that forbid sending aerosols via post and most definitely by air freight/post.
Asking someone else to break the law will be at their option of course, but not a smart thing to do on a public forum.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

actually if you did proper research you would find that aerosol cans less then 33.80oz can be sent by mail internationally. a can of krylon is 12oz.
Old 14th November 2012, 03:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/ma...Gnonmail-e.pdf
Section 6.1 classifies aerosol as a dangerous good, no mention of the quantity. I am sure the US regulations are quite similar. E
Old 14th November 2012, 05:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Have you already contacted "Crocker's Paint and Wallpaper" at < http://www.crockerspaint.com/website...&search=Search >?

Since they carry some Krylon products they can probably get the finish you're looking for, unless the formula for that particular product uses some substance that's banned in Australia for environmental, health or safety reasons.

Dale
Old 14th November 2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1992 View Post
Oh and just to clear something up. I made this thread in the solid state section as it was the most viewed section at the time.

Which is no reason to deliberately post something in the wrong forum... MOVED
Old 15th November 2012, 03:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Now that we thoroughly hurt mitch's feelings....I started to think of an application where I want to use such a finish
Too cheap to by the real thing for a large surface, I am going to use carpenter's glue (Elmer, LePage) and try several things:
- mix sand in with the glue
- mix sawdust (sifted into different coarse grades)
than roller (my preference) or brush it onto the wood surface. Afterwards spray paint it
It should work (famous last woreds!) E
Old 15th November 2012, 07:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymoose View Post
Now that we thoroughly hurt mitch's feelings....I started to think of an application where I want to use such a finish
Too cheap to by the real thing for a large surface, I am going to use carpenter's glue (Elmer, LePage) and try several things:
- mix sand in with the glue
- mix sawdust (sifted into different coarse grades)
than roller (my preference) or brush it onto the wood surface. Afterwards spray paint it
It should work (famous last woreds!) E
Very interested in seeing the result!

Will you run a clear coat on top as well? Maybe a matte?
The sand grains also vary a lot in size sometimes, maybe grinding it to dust will be better and easier to make it look like stone?
Thought about glueing ripped pieces of paper on the surface first to make a shale-like texture?

I think, ripped paper pieces, glue, stone/sand dust, silk matte clear coat, stone/sand dust before coat dries, matte clear coat finish would be a killer.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 15th November 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!