An Amazing Instrument

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this kind of tinkering makes me really think that standard musical instruments are obsolete.

Give it another 10 years and I bet a lot of music stores will be shut down, either that or there will be a keyboard in the front window, or some other kind of MIDI interface like a guitar, flashing with blinding blue lights for miles from the store.

Especially what with the guitar hero generation being raised on them...

Kind of a shame really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2cYJbcbdalI#t=38s

Last edited:
A VST plug in would be my guess, or something similar where a midi score, connected to other virtual instruments are tied into the custom made plug in that handles the timing and firing of the animations.

That's what I would guess, but I assume there's info to be found online. I've seen many similar videos. It's probably more than just the score for the parts; I doubt it ifgures out the 'fingering' to use. So I'd assume they are defined as midi instruments. From there it's not too hard, though it could be difficult to get it to move smoothly. Somewhat sterile and mechanical-sounding 'Chamber-type' music seems to lend itself well to MIDI, and so to this. But there's no reason you couldn't record the midi stream from live jazz musicians in an impromptu jam and do the video in post-processing and have something more interesting.

Well to my ears it very much performs like a strict midi recording, the definition of which seems to be a little blurred here. There is nothing that means a midi recording has to sound like an android has made it, midi simply records the input, be that me playing a classic piece live, or trimming notes on a 100%synthesized piece so that they last for specific lengths and firing at exactly the right time.

It is impressive to say the least and must have taken a lot of hard work to get it right. It's no surprise that they have released DVDs that you can buy of these things, although I would never actually buy one.

If it was a recording, it would be more similar to a real live performance, midi records velocity, sustain and decay/length of each note played. The various combination based (synth AND sample based at the same time) VST plugins perform very well, like the Truepiano one, you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference of a good real recording and a recording on the truepiano plugin if you used the same pianist and the same format.

If you write the midi notes in a midi editor, you sometimes forget to or ignore adjusting velocity/sustain/length on each note because it is a LOT of work doing it that way. I know, because that is what I do, gave away my midi keyboard to my brother years ago, still looking for a good one my paycheck can afford.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.