An Amazing Instrument - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2012, 12:07 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

this kind of tinkering makes me really think that standard musical instruments are obsolete.

Give it another 10 years and I bet a lot of music stores will be shut down, either that or there will be a keyboard in the front window, or some other kind of MIDI interface like a guitar, flashing with blinding blue lights for miles from the store.

Especially what with the guitar hero generation being raised on them...

Kind of a shame really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...JbcbdalI#t=38s

Last edited by freax; 12th November 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

From the point of view of the musician, there is no substitute for the real thing.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:50 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Look up "Automatic Drums" on YT.
The mechanical Fingers are constructed of wood......with no mechanism (pulleys, wires,air or hydraulic pistons) ????

________________________________________________Ri ck.........
Old 12th November 2012, 02:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
From the point of view of the musician, there is no substitute for the real thing.
It's very nice to see these CGI videos and automated instruments like the old 'piano player' etc.
However nothing like watching a REAL human play an instrument ! I prefer that!
There is more "soul" to it !
Old 12th November 2012, 03:27 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
A VST plug in would be my guess, or something similar where a midi score, connected to other virtual instruments are tied into the custom made plug in that handles the timing and firing of the animations.
That's what I would guess, but I assume there's info to be found online. I've seen many similar videos. It's probably more than just the score for the parts; I doubt it ifgures out the 'fingering' to use. So I'd assume they are defined as midi instruments. From there it's not too hard, though it could be difficult to get it to move smoothly. Somewhat sterile and mechanical-sounding 'Chamber-type' music seems to lend itself well to MIDI, and so to this. But there's no reason you couldn't record the midi stream from live jazz musicians in an impromptu jam and do the video in post-processing and have something more interesting.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

That is pretty cool. Maybe it was a midi recording of real people performing? Can't tell. Cetainlystays withing certain bounds, like the number of bass strings limits the polyphony etc.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:33 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I have no idea, but it does just sound like strict midi written note by note, sounds like a guitar version of Truepianos - Welcome or something, only they forgot to tune velocity on the notes, so the notes are almost all equal in volume and decay.

At any rate, very good project.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well to my ears it very much performs like a strict midi recording, the definition of which seems to be a little blurred here. There is nothing that means a midi recording has to sound like an android has made it, midi simply records the input, be that me playing a classic piece live, or trimming notes on a 100%synthesized piece so that they last for specific lengths and firing at exactly the right time.

It is impressive to say the least and must have taken a lot of hard work to get it right. It's no surprise that they have released DVDs that you can buy of these things, although I would never actually buy one.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

If it was a recording, it would be more similar to a real live performance, midi records velocity, sustain and decay/length of each note played. The various combination based (synth AND sample based at the same time) VST plugins perform very well, like the Truepiano one, you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference of a good real recording and a recording on the truepiano plugin if you used the same pianist and the same format.

If you write the midi notes in a midi editor, you sometimes forget to or ignore adjusting velocity/sustain/length on each note because it is a LOT of work doing it that way. I know, because that is what I do, gave away my midi keyboard to my brother years ago, still looking for a good one my paycheck can afford.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 12th November 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!