extremely high frequency hiss sound? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 05:10 PM   #11
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
Everyone has a high frequency background noise in their hearing apparatus. For most people without clinical tinnitus the noise is so faint to be inaudible unless they are in a VERY quiet environment where the noise is above the background level.
Agreed, but I don't need to be in a very quiet room to hear it. Most of the time I don't hear (or rather: register) it because my attention isn't focused on it. It's present 24/7 and equally loud in both ears.
I do know that my hearing is more adept at hearing sounds than most people's. When I'm at a friends apartment, I can hear the dog bark and whine that lives in the appartment two flights up and on the other side of the stairwell. My friend can't hear that.

Quote:
If you have tinnitus this noise is elevated such that it is audible...in mild cases you hear it when it is quiet, like at night in bed. More severe cases make it audible at higher levels of background sound. So if you only notice it in very quiet circumstances you may be normal, or it may be an early sign of tinnitus.
Occasionally, I have short bursts of tinnitus that fade in a matter of seconds and sound like a loud, high pitched steady tone, in one ear only. Apparently this is experienced by about a third of the population, so I don't worry.
Old 6th November 2012, 05:19 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
I do know what 20khz sounds like I've used a program call audacity and set a custom sample rate of 500000 samples per second and then set the 20khz tone to play
it's easily heard as a hissing wizzle sound but not as high as the hissing i'm hearing in my head
<snip>
What are you using to hear these tones, as it is exceedingly unlikely that any laptop speaker can reproduce tones in this region. I suspect most home speaker systems would have problems reproducing over 20kHz, and to my surprise I have also seen sound cards that support sample rates beyond 44kHz that don't do a very good job above 20kHz if at all. (Several laptops I've owned amongst others) Easy to fall into that trap..

As an aside you may well be able to hear 20kHz at this point in your life, but need to use hardware that can actually reproduce those frequencies to be sure.
Old 7th November 2012, 01:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

im using a desktop computer and extremely high quality headphones
Old 9th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #14
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

heres a helpful hint, get your ears cleaned out by the local doctor, that did fix up quite a bit of gunk I had in mine once.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

This is just boring tosh from a youngster who is incapable of describing
anything accurately, and knows what "far above" 20KHz sounds like.

Give me a break .... (and some empathy with real hearing problems).

rgds, sreten.

When your only tool is a hammer,
every problem looks like a nail
- Abraham Maslow

Hide this!Advertise here!