Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Older folk may remember Mazda radio valves too.
I just turned 60, so I qualify as "older folk" and yes, I rember Mazda valves. I found a bunch in a box full of stuff I bought from an auction house, here in the USA. French manufacture I believe?

You can find POS vehicles amongst all manufacturers, although some brands seem to have made a long reputation of crap. We had a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire convertible that we managed to drive just over 3000 miles in the 2 years we had it. That's because it was always dead and in the Pontiac shop. Every time it rained, daily for about 6 months per year, the car would fill up with water and the engine control computer was under the passenger seat. The brain box was changed at least a dozen times and the entire interior was replaced twice because of mildew and mold. Traded it for a Ford Mustang convertible that we had for 7 years.....I changed the battery once, and changed the oil, thats it!
Old 5th November 2012, 09:09 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A lot of them were made in France, but I think some were made in the same factory as Brimar in the UK as they have Brimar-like factory codes. Later, 'Mazda' valves were often remarked RFT or other eastern Europe. Some of these had blue printing.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:14 PM   #13
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
Well, false alarm. The Mazda3 is still a POS and it did it again this morning with no cell phone present. Just failing electronics I guess, or maybe something related to the cold.

I should qualify my comments in that the intro year of the Mazda3 was a POS, but the later ones seem better. Most unreliable and expensive to own car I've ever had in 38 years of driving.

I've got my bets on a filtering capacitor gone bad somewhere in the BCM (body control module) of the car.

Possibly one on the DC input to the BCM. Same thing happened to my car.

Somewhere somehow a capacitor isn't doing its job of filtering out noise from either the ignition system or somewhere else.

Pull the BCM if you can and recap it. What you want to look for is the large electrolytics, replace one of those and you should be back in buisness.

What shocks me the most though isn't that this is occuring, its that its occuring on a 2004 model car, I wouldn't have expected it to prop up for at least another 5-10 years.

Just to add a bit of scare factor into the mix, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers have put caps like this into cars, stragetically placed, so that they can control the life expectancy of modern cars.

Last edited by freax; 5th November 2012 at 09:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!