Dartzeel mono blocks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't get the feeling this is a well engineered product from the electronics point of view.

However, for the people who buy this kind of stuff (bankers, sheiks . . . ) 144k really has a completely different meaning. These are the same people who own private jets, $30 million yachts and 3 or 4 mansions. If you are this rich, spending 150k on something that gives you pride of ownership and boasting rights is ok and thats what you will do.

It is not about sound quality anymore that say Chanel No. 5 is better quality than scented underarm . . .

Still, if I had 144k to throw around I wouldn't buy it. It sure is fugly to my eyes.

:D

Some may argue that there is no totally transparent protection, so to build the "ultimate" amp, you must have no such circuits.

I don't subscribe to this, but it is a view some have. My view is protection circuits are actually very difficult and don't actually work very well, but should be included if they can. Of all my power amps, down to the two best sounding ones, one has protection, one does not. Of my small integrated amps, my two best do not. One is so old it was rare, the other newer.

Output stage protection is a real pain in the behind to design, not only do requirements change when temperature changes, but the activation points tend to drift with temperature too. The only way to guarantee that your protection scheme works is to destruction test your amplifier under many different fault conditions and this can get expensive if your pushing things to the limits.

Of course when you're designing your own amplifier, with its own protection, you can choose to be conservative in designing protection that will always protect the amplifier, but also by including an additional pair or two of output transistors to make sure that the conservative protection point will never trip under normal operating conditions.

Most detection circuits work into fairly high impedances so will impart practically zero presence into the workings of the amplifier, unless of course they are being activated, in which case it's going to sound bad, meaning you need to turn it down or buy another amplifier.

If a high end company spews rubbish along the lines of protection circuits colour the sound so we don't include them, all that says to me is that they didn't want to bother with the hassle involved in properly implementing a protection system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.