Minimum opamp specs for video? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2012, 04:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Minimum opamp specs for video?

Whats the minimum specs on an opamp that could be used for video?

I assume the resolution will have an effect on the opamp required? how does one know what opamp will be suitable?

If an underperforming opamp is used, what will the result be? no picture? interference?

thanks!
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

1) it depends on the required quality of the video
2) yes, resolution will greatly determine the amount of data that must be processed
3) datasheet info as a first step
4) distortion, or it may refuse to work at all

Do a search of "video op amp" just as you would for "audio op amp." The AD811 is just the handiest I had, but there are many others.
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

And load driving, video is usually 75R load impedance, which requires high currents.
In the video world, the common specs are differential gain and phase, not harmonic distortion
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I know there are opamps that are specifically listed as being suitable for video, but wasn't sure if they were required in all situations
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

If the video is in the analogue domain then you are looking at wide bandwidth. For example the broadcast TV UK standard would have been DC to 6Mhz. VHS quality video took that down to around 3Mhz. With decreasing bandwidth comes loss of HF definition.

So the minimum specs also depend on the bandwidth you expect to see. The term "video" covers a huge spectrum.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Probably not. The lowly 741 may be capable of some type of (very poor quality) video. Generally, video requires a fast op amp with wide bandwidth. Along with compatibility with the 75-ohm standard as mentioned, and probably some other characteristics other more knowledgeable members know of. Which all relates to your 3rd question; I think the video format and quality determines the amount of information that must be processed per time period, then an op amp must be found that can keep up with that.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Amiga 500... PAL? 640256 perhaps?

making reference to "bandwidth" doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, and add eg 720i, 1080i, color vs black & white, etc. There is a lot of information in a video waveform, and it can't all be placed in a narrow bandwidth. That is true of audio, also. If you just want to playback speech, 300-3kHz is adequate; for music there's a ~tenfold difference either side, because there's a lot more information there. Bandwidth here is referring to the op amp's response to a wide range of frequencies. For quality video it's tens of megahertz.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Look at the numbers down the side of gratings on this test card. Oversimplifying somewhat, these are the "frequency" that corresponds to that level of detail. The 5.25Mhz are very fine vertical lines.

Think of audio. If you cut off the audio at 4Khz things would start to sound dull. Cut off the high video frequencies and the fine detail starts to disappear.

Those figures for the Amiga are the resolution. The PAL (phase alternate line) means the signal conforms to the broadcast standard and can be applied to a TV to display, either directly as composite video or via a UHF modulator to enable the signal to be received via an aerial input.

You still need the high bandwidth even if the video is low resolution because the TV signal is made up of various synchronisation pulses that have to be passed with no distortion. I would guess you still need a couple of meg bandwidth even for an ancient computer video signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (96.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've ordered two of these:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ogy/lt1253.pdf

I had tried the circuit with a TL074, because it was there, and the results were rather poor...

Hide this!Advertise here!