Recording? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 06:41 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to James Lehman
What you are looking for is called "proximity effect".

It works with both omni and cardiod mics. It is the region of air that is so close to the source of the sound that it direct couples the source to the mic diaphragm, because, from the low-end up, most of the sound is within less than a wavelength or even half a wavelength.

Typically, in a quite room, this area of sound will be WAY louder than any sounds from many feet father away.

James.

Last edited by James Lehman; 29th October 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Proximity is important. I need it to be a recording of an intimint place that is so small no human could exist in it (between two people close enough to kiss,l aying on a bed).
Old 29th October 2012, 11:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
What you are looking for is called "proximity effect".

It works with both omni and cardiod mics. It is the region of air that is so close to the source of the sound that it direct couples the source to the mic diaphragm, because, from the low-end up, most of the sound is within less than a wavelength or even half a wavelength.

Typically, in a quite room, this area of sound will be WAY louder than any sounds from many feet father away.

James.
Omni mics do not exhibit the proximity effect, only directional mics do.
It manifests itself as a considerable bass boost.

Generally small diaphragm condensers do not sound particularly nice on voices. They are good for acoustic guitars or drum overheads though.
Large diaphragm ones sound much more intimate IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)
Old 30th October 2012, 12:03 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am actually feeling tempted to use two microphones, for two channels because it would aid in the playback experience.

Can anyone comment on a recording device? I'll probably ask for opinions at gear slutz (I would of posted there first, but I didn't know which recording forum was serious vs. all the boners that record stuff poorly these days)
Old 30th October 2012, 12:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Most Lavalier microphones (made for voice) are electret omni capsules.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:21 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Something like this should do the trick:
Firewire audio recording interface 6 IN 6 OUT | Echo Digital Audio
Old 30th October 2012, 12:31 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
Most Lavalier microphones (made for voice) are electret omni capsules.
So they are, same as talkback mics etc. None of them sound particularly intimate though.
Which isn't a problem because they are not meant to.

If you hear a very intimate sounding recorded voice like acoustic jazz and such like you can pretty much guarantee that the mic in question was a large-diaphragm condenser and probably half of them were Neumanns.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:09 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

He's not looking for any kind of typical vocal mic here.

No one is singing!

He's looking for a special effect.

James.
Old 30th October 2012, 08:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Personally, I'd throw the kitchen sink at it. Couple of headset/lavaliers , couple of large format condensers close mic-ing, couple more further away catching room ambience, one or two boundary mics dotted around and maybe even SY's shotgun mics as well. Then you can sort it out in the mix.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st October 2012, 04:08 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hm I think one mic between them, and one inbetween their chests will be perfect.

That firewire thing looks great. Too bad I need an Apple to use it! Right now I run Linux and the only thing worth using for it is $1600. I've heard good things about the Apogee Duet as well. They all appear to have the same basic specs but... I want good sound not specs!

What about this mic?

Rode NT2A Variable Pattern Microphone at zZounds

Either I have to have circle 8 or two mics. Circle 8 should work great because when one person is talking I can pan it harder to one side, giving an impression of inbetween; when they both speak it'll be equal on eachside of the affect of that will be enhanced feeling over overwhelming.

I got to post over at GearSlutz perhaps. My friend recommended looking at Tweakheadz as well. What I don't know how to do yet is seperate out the people that about numbers, specs, and the people that are about actual quality sound.

I'm so excited! if I get the $650 sE mic I'll have to rent out recording services to my friends. Recording well ain't cheap! But I know a few tricks about the non-gear side for good sound (I have great ears for stuff, and have done a little professional studio time, real little, but conceptually I get it).

Hide this!Advertise here!