Kenwood UD90 crakle & pop!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good grief... just dug out the receipt - bought in 1992 - I had no idea it was that old. £900 with Yamaha centre speaker in it's day though :eek:

My problem is this - by about half way through watching a DVD the sound starts to pick up some kind of interference(?) and starts to make a sort of electrical pop/crackle which makes it unusable and I have to switch it off and just watch through the Pioneer TV.

Anything I can check or is it time for a new system?

Thanks in advance

Stewart

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is the problem on one or all channels ? Does it do this fault if just playing a CD or listening to another source ?

I would guess (and it is purely a guess) that this unit uses some form of "monolithic" or "hybrid" output IC rather than discrete circuitry. Typical problem areas could be something as simple as a poor soldered joint, relay contacts if it uses any and a faulty output IC.

You need to pin it down a lot more with tests first :)

Interesting test... Sky for 2 hours, trouble free :)

this unit uses some form of "monolithic" or "hybrid" output IC rather than discrete circuitry
I have no idea what that actually means :eek:

Is it a reference to the unit putting out Dolby Pro Logic when I'm watching a DVD rather than just normal when watching Sky or am I way off :D

Maybe I should check out all my connections first?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A monolithic or hybrid output stage is one using something like an LM3886 or and STK4141 type component. Do an internet search for those two as examples :) Up to now though and it sounds like the problem is elsewhere.

So it played OK...

That seems to point the finger at the DVD source and some problem with its output. Again you need to narrow things down. Does the Sky audio feed come into the Kenwood via the same inputs or not. If not then can you swap them around and retest.

Without seeing how its all connected its hard to say. This is why you have to pin it down. How about leaving the DVD playing until you know it would be showing a fault and only then turning the Kenwood on. If the DVD is the problem it would sound distorted immediately. If it was some problem with the Kenwood it would still take that hour or more for a problem to show.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.