cheap cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default cheap cables

My latest thought has been to put 3 lengths, of solid 22 awg OFHC CDA101 annealed temper copper wire , inside 3 seperate lenghts of cotton sleeving with a low dieletric constant of about 1.3. Braid 4 groups, each made up of 3 cotton encased wires, and insert each braided assembly into 4 very low dielectric ptfe tubes. Seal the ends of the ptfe tubes, with silicone sealant and, twist two pairs and secure twists with shrink wrap about every foot. The two assemblies would allow amp to speaker connection for two speakers in a stereo setup.The 3 braided wires, should equal about 17awg which I thought, would be sufficient for 11.5ft lengths.

Has anyone tried this or know of a potential problem with this approach?
Old 26th October 2012, 08:01 PM   #2
DUG is online now DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

use non-corrosive silicone
Old 26th October 2012, 09:31 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Not looking for a fight, but I have to weigh in yet again.
The biggest potential problem is you are spending a lot of time and money on something that is totally irrelevant for sound when you could be building better speakers, better amps, or buying more music.

I find 16 gauge zip cord to do just fine. I have to admit, I like the expensive fine strand stuff from Madisound because of it's flexibility. For my mains, I found 300 Ohm twin-lead works quite well. (old copper, not copper over iron) I just tin my ends and use either simple binding posts or terminal strips.

I don't suppose you know that foundries ADD oxygen to copper to float out impurities to make it a better conductor?

All that work on 11 feet of wire and you are going to feed a crossover and voice coil from an amp with an output choke and iron wire emitter resistors through a cheap relay and maybe a fuse. Please take a step back and consider the entirety of the system. Being a cheap-skate as well as an engineer, I spend my money where I will get results. Can speaker wire make it sound different? Yea, it can make it worse than zip cord.
Old 28th October 2012, 01:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default cheap speaker cable design mods

This is not a reply to the Zip cord proponent but to all. I was thinking that, while pulling the solid wires into the cotton sleeves, I would coat the wires with caig pro gold by holding a piece of the pro gold sheeting around the wires. Any thoughts on this?
Old 28th October 2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Yes I have thoughts. I want to see the rest of your system to know if what you are considering has any validity. Not to put a damper on the project but you must have an incredible set-up to even be considering this. If you have exhausted all other avenues for system improvement then this might be the right path. The problem I am having is that you use the word 'cheap' in your title.

Pictures and descriptions speak volumes.
Old 28th October 2012, 02:50 AM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylrjr View Post
Any thoughts on this?
Hi,

The whole process is nowhere near complicated enough to sound any good,

rgds, sreten.
Old 28th October 2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Funniest thing you've said in years.
Old 28th October 2012, 05:18 AM   #8
DUG is online now DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Old 28th October 2012, 06:11 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Great comment sreten

You want cheap? Go get 2 lengths of solid core CAT5 network cable (preferrablly plenum with teflon insulation, but that is ~10x as expensive, so not as cheap), and extract a twisted pair and use that. You'll have enuff left over for 3 more systems.

Thick guage wire is highly over-rated.

I do believe that wire makes an audible difference, is very system dependent, and often more about how it drives the amp crazy than anything else.

dave
Old 28th October 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave, Don't you think the solid core is a bit too susceptible to fatigue and breaking? Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you said. This time.

Hide this!Advertise here!