cheap cables - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2012, 08:24 PM   #21
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylrjr View Post
Thanks for all the replies. The system is: OPPO BDP-95 or Meridian 506.24 > Audible Illussions M3A > Aragon 8008BB > B&W Nautilus 803 speakers and a Velodyne HGS10BG sub woofer. Presntly connections are, XLO reference 2 Series interconnects and, XLO Ultra 6 speaker cables. I am hoping to hear an improvement, via speaker cable design I described due to, reduced number of 22AWG wires in each leg to get to about 17AWG and, the cotton sleeving, ptfe and braiding.

Henry Rancourt
Nice stuff. Does not change anything I have said. I use standard Belden mic cable and Cannon XLR's made to length, or just plain stranded 75 Ohm coax with generic RCA's.

There is still more generic wire in the B&W crossover than whatever you do with external cables, and the amp still has an output filter and emitter resistors. Hope all you want. That hope has made a lot of people a lot of money. Considering your system, I suggest a nice bottle of wine, good bread and some music. It will do far more than cables. Have you done anything with room treatments? My rule of thumb is every dollar spent on speakers should be matched on the room. Have you set the amp bias to spec? Great piece, but old enough for the caps to be drying out. What DAC are you using? What crossover between mains and the sub? Only one sub?

Where I am going is there are several places you could look to make improvements. Cables just don't happen to be one of them.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:30 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default cheap cable

My old friend of 30 years , who owns a highly respcted stereo shop and several of his installers and another long lived stereo shop owner have heard my system and said there is nothing left to do unless i want to buy higher end componnents, and they carry Krell, focal and higher end cables,,,, but, they and I don't think I need them The listening room has been treated, is 16 x 30 x 9.5 ft high canvas ceiling, I just thought, since I have the wire, cotton sleevling and ptfe, and a lot of spare time, it might be a fun experiment.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:58 PM   #23
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It might be a fun experiment. Redecorating your music room will probably have a similar effect on the sound, and may also be fun.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:32 PM   #24
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. The system is: OPPO BDP-95 or Meridian 506.24 > Audible Illussions M3A > Aragon 8008BB > B&W Nautilus 803 speakers and a Velodyne HGS10BG sub woofer. Presntly connections are, XLO reference 2 Series interconnects and, XLO Ultra 6 speaker cables. I am hoping to hear an improvement, via speaker cable design I described due to, reduced number of 22AWG wires in each leg to get to about 17AWG and, the cotton sleeving, ptfe and braiding.

Henry Rancourt
Just curious, how do the OPPO and Meridian compare?
Old 29th October 2012, 11:26 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the good bread and wine is your best bet.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:57 PM   #26
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just thought, since I have the wire, cotton sleevling and
ptfe, and a lot of spare time, it might be a fun experiment.
Hi,

Go for it, just don't expect anyone to be able to predict the results.

Apparently your current $300 for a 10ft pair speaker cables are
"great value" according to some and "difficult to better under $1K".

rgds, sreten.

My speakers cables are CAT5 solid core, 3 plaited together, and the twelve
100 ohm twisted pairs connected in parallel for a nominally 8.3ohm cable.
They look very funky being purple heatproof CAT5, cost - about $1/ft.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:06 AM   #27
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
It might be a fun experiment. Redecorating your music room will probably have a similar effect on the sound, and may also be fun.
Actually, redecorating your room will probably actually have an effect on your sound.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:11 AM   #28
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My speakers cables are CAT5 solid core, 3 plaited together, and the twelve
100 ohm twisted pairs connected in parallel for a nominally 8.3ohm cable.
They look very funky being purple heatproof CAT5, cost - about $1/ft.
Your cables have an 8 ohm impedance (look again)??? Are you one of those that wrongly believe RF impedance matching is good to do at audio freqs?
Old 30th October 2012, 11:25 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

cbdb. Absolutely correct. Sreten is lucky his cables did not turn his amp into an ultrasonic oscillator as that very high C design is apt to do. Must have an amp with very good stability margins. As Dave mentioned, "it depends"

Many years ago I had a CM Labs amp that blew up when I switched to Kimber 8TC. We did not understand it way back then (70's) but looking back, stability problems were the likely cause. They were not very stable to start with. I went back to my twisted zip cord after it was repaired the second time and it survived until I upgraded to a Hafler.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:40 AM   #30
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, at high frequencies most loudspeakers have a rising impedance. This means that the amplifier primarily sees the cable capacitance, which is always what happens when a short cable has a termination impedance which is higher than the characteristic impedance. Capacitive loading can often upset an amplifier.

The normal cheap speaker cable or mains cable has an RF characteristic impedance somewhere around 50-100ohms so this problem does not occur. If anything the amp sees an inductance, which is unlikely to do any harm. At lower frequencies the cable acts like a resistor anyway, whatever its RF impedance.

People who seek 'matching 8ohm impedance' speaker cables show a lack of understanding about transmission lines, speakers and amplifier loop stability. As in many other audio cases, you actually should want an impedance 'mismatch' for best results!

Last edited by DF96; 30th October 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: grammar

Hide this!Advertise here!