USB turuntable skips on new vinyl (2000+), but plays vintage records fine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a USB turntable at Hastings in Alexandria, La. It is a Hype brand "briefcase" style player, only the 12" LP records are larger than the record player itself. I picked up Pink Floyd's DSOTM album and The Wall new from the music store where I bought the turntable. They played very well. Then I found a box of records in the garage which belonged to my mom and dad. Mostly Classical compilations and old Church/Christmas stuff. Very little mainstream recordings. Everything I've pulled from the old record box plays flawlessly, except for hissing and pops. It even handled scratched/warped/worn/dirty records fine without skipping, but with noticeable noise and fidelity loss.

I went online at Amazon and ordered a bunch of records, new and old, and I also went to an antiques dealer in my town which has a massive library of used records. I bought 3 old vintage albums and one Ashanti "Concrete Rose" (Not for Resale) copyright 2004. I also received on Saturday "Stadium Arcadium" in the mail, a 4 LP boxed set of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers 2006 album.

Well, I listened to both records of the Ashanti double album, and the first two records from "Stadium Arcadium", and while both record sets are in absolute pristine condition with no visible defects, they have horrible skipping problems. My record stylus simply advances forward repeatedly for no apparent reason on these newer records. Had it been just one disc, I'd suspect the record was defective, but the second record from the Ashanti dual album, and both the first two records from Stadium Arcadium repeatedly skip while playing. I've not attempted to listen to the last two Stadium Arcadium discs yet as I got frustrated. The old Lynard Skinard "Gold and Platinum Hits" and The Eagles "Hotel California" that I bought at the same antiques store plays great however.

I did some research online, and there is a consensus that a record that skips on one player may play fine on another, and also the choice of stylus does make a difference, and I've seen various instructions ranging from "tape a penny on top of the stylus to give it more tracking weight" to "adjust the anti-skating and cartridge alignment". I have no idea what these adjustments do or if it's even possible to make these adjustments on my $70 USB turntable. Is it possible that my turntable is junk, or did I really strike out twice in a row with the newer record pressings? I can't imagine why it would have trouble playing new vinyl, yet play vintage vinyl flawlessly.

I plan on taking my turntable to a music shop to get service and/or advice some time next week, but if there are any vinyl aficionados out there that can give me some advice right now, I'd appreciate it much, even if it's just an affirmation of "you get what you pay for."

yes the turntable is total scrap.. .. plastic everywhere no adjustments. the platter does not fully support the records surface . resonance.. Dont put extra weight on top of cartidge /stylus it will destroy yor records and stylus. as for the scipping i would suspect there is no anti skid adjustment and another guess id say the profile of the stylus is not good either . Itis not as much you get what you pay for .. It is more like you get what YOU bought .. Do yourself and your records a big favor throw that piece of crap in the trash..

Kind Regards Mark

Now now, not everyone needs a Linn. E-bay has plenty of serviceable tables for not too much. When you add a cheap RIAA to USB adapter, you won't hear the difference between a good table and a 40 year old Dual with an AT-11 in it.

Too true. I guess all the OP wanted to do was to copy vinyl to MP3, that is what these "crap" USB turntables are designed for. A quick visit to Cash Convertors will usually reveal a reasonable turntable for that task, and you can take it back if it doesn't work. E-Bay has plenty of them but you will have to take a bit of a chance. Paying by PayPal will ensure that you don't buy a complete lemon.

I did the same thing. I bought a Technics SP10 for £125 from Cash Convertors, copied my old singles collection and then sold it on E-Bay for £150. I didn't need a RIAA to USB convertor, I just built a little RIAA pre-amp. Both options are relatively cheap these days.

Last edited:
This is my turntable:
Amazon.com: HYPE HY-2004-BCT Briefcase USB Turntable/Vinyl Archiver w/Built-in speakers - Rip Your Old Vinyl to MP3!: Computers & Accessories

But I actually bought it at a retail store. Believe it or not, they actually had some really POS USB turntables for $30. I thought I was getting a better turn table by paying higher price ($70) for it. Another thing I noticed is the bass is rather weak, and I have to compensate my stereo system by cranking up the subwoofer just so that the bass is audible. I guess it may be lacking a proper RIAA equalization stage, so that may explain why the bass output is weak. I've already archived a couple of my mom's old records, however when I tried to set up audacity on my laptop, there was digital noise in the audio signal on my computer. It was a high-pitched whining sound, not white noise or AC hum, and that was with the stylus sitting in it's cradle not even playing the record, so I figured the ADC inside the record player was junk. I hooked up my Cowon media player (A3) to the RCA output and recorded the output audio using FLAC codec.

That still doesn't explain why the record player plays vintage records fine but skips like hell on new ones, unless the newer records have shallow grooves compared to old ones. They also could have provided a proper power adapter, as I had to sacrifice my cell charger to power it. So where can I find a decent record player? Are the turn tables they sell at Best Buy any good? Most of them have iPod docks on them, and I don't even own an iPod (Cowon is a million times better). Will just upgrading the needle help, or would that be pointless, like trying to put a V-8 in a compact car? At the moment, I'm strapped for cash, so I've got to keep it well under $200. Vintage record players can have all sorts of issues, like turn tables not keeping speed and so forth.

OK, I'll take the bait. DF, what table/arm/cartridge do you prefer? I hope 30 years had improved the state of the art as well as the state of what you can actually pay for.

When I still had records, I had a modified Thorens with a Grace F9e running a modified Hafler preamp. The SP12 was about the best table one could even see in the stores, but SOTA was getting a big following.

No bait. I can't tell you which I prefer, as I haven't listened to many. The system I am currently happy with is rather old (like me) but suits me for listening to music: Thorens TD160S, Linn Basik arm (I forget which version, as it was 30 years ago), Ortofon VMS20E MM cartridge, DIY RIAA preamp using a couple of opamps (active LF boost, passive HF cut).

I have never been all that interested in SOTA, as that changes every year and I am not made of money. I regard my system as reasonable quality. I was not willing to pay a lot more money for something better. From memory, this system cost me about £300 about 30 years ago. That was a lot of money back then.

You should be able to find a decent used DJ turntable for that price. It will be soooo much better than what you now have.

Some newer TTs have a built in phono preamp. If you don't find that, count a phono to USB into your budget. Behringer: U-PHONO UFO202

Most DJ turntables come with a straight tonearm. You can't properly align a cartridge with a straight tonearm. If a DJ table is bought make sure it has a S shaped arm. DJ tables also run the gamut, from pieces of crap sold at Best Buy not any better than what he already has, too professional models made to take the abuse of a working DJ.

On a budget I don't think you can go wrong with most of the turntables on these pages that are around 300-500 dollars. Just avoid the all in one units from Crosley, Jenson, etc.

Budget Turntables

Turntables at Music Direct

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own a DJ scratching turntable. That would just ruin the records anyway. I just want a nice quality hifi turntable with stereo RCA jacks to plug into my existing sound system, that plays back all 33-1/3 and 45 rpm microgroove records at an appropriate speed. Thanks for the feedback.

Is this a good buy?
MUSIC HALL USB-1 TURNTABLE at Music Direct

I really can't justify spending any more than $200, but this table $250 turntable appears to have all the anti-skating controls my cheapish turntable lacks, plus a real AC power cord and a full sized platter. Plus it's got perfect RIAA playback equalization from 20-20kHz..

A couple of observations about my "junk" USB turntable: Cost: $70. No AC power adapter (have to use a universal USB AC outlet plug. The rubber platter that sits on the turntable is undersized and wobbly. The playing the arm is flimsy and rocks too much. Plus there appear to be zero adjustments to be made on anything. The internal ADC is junk and produces a high-pitched whiny noise if I attempt to record via USB. Additionally, I just looked online and saw some high-end stylus cost more than this player does, so it would be kind of ignorant to buy a fine stylus cartridge and install it on a crappy player.

I did not buy the crappy "Hype" turntable at Amazon. I bought it at Hastings in Alexandria, La, and unfortunately returning to the store I bought it at means driving 100 miles one way and approximately $40 worth of gas, but I believe there's another Hastings location a little closer to home in Longview, Tx. I'll try returning it later this week. I ultimately decided on the Audio Technica AT-LP120 because it uses a quartz operated direct drive and doesn't suffer from "wow and flutter" syndrome like the Music Halls and other belt-driven models. #2 most popular turntable on Amazon can't be wrong! The only thing my crappy Hype briefcase model has that this one doesn't, is an auto-stop mechanism, which isn't really essential. I probably won't be using the pitch/speed controls much, although it is nice to have, and I definitely won't be "stratching" my shiny new 180-gram records with it, or attempting to run the turntable in reverse, LOL...

The industry standard DJ turntable was the Technics SL-1200 and 1210, which are quite well regarded by audiophiles. DJs are increasingly turning to laptops and digital media, so there ought to be some good deals on used decks. Try local music stores that rent gear, local online ads, raver forums.

Turntables are less common in thrift stores and yard sales these days. Check out stores that specialize in "vintage" audio, and used record stores: they often carry used turntables as well.

For a USB phono preamp, check out the ART USB Phono Plus; it packs a lot of features into a solid little box for under $100, including line out (so you can play records through your home theater receiver), S/PDIF I/O, and a headphone output.

Last edited:
I'd recommend a Technics SL-1200 mk.2 without a seconds hesitation. It was taken up by the DJ crowd - true - but was originally designed as an audiophile turntable. They're built to last too (which is why they were popular with DJs). There are a zillion mods you can make to it over time as well, to really take it into high-end territory, but even stock it's very, very good (if set up correctly!). I've owed Garrard 301s, 401s, a Technics SP-10 mk.II, and quite honestly with a few mods the Technics SL-1200 can hold its own, and is capable of remarkable performance. Don't take my word for it though:

KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com (click on the '1200 primer' on left of page)

Technics SL-1200MK2 on thevintageknob.org

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19656

Incidentally, even though it can look a bit plasticy/cheap in some photos, it's anything but; the top chassis/plate is all metal. Very well built, and pretty darned heavy! Ignore any audiophile snobs, the SL-1200 takes a lot of beating, and the sky is the limit should you ever decide to do any mods/upgrades. Better speed stability than any belt drive around the same price too.

You can get them dirt cheap if you're patient/lucky, though now word is out proces are rising fast...

I love mine! ;)

Last edited:
I finally received my new Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable in the mail last Friday, and after the initial setup (recommended tracking weight for the stylus is 1.5-2.5 grams, so I calibrated it for 2 grams), I am very happy with it! The new records that skipped on the old Hype turntable had no problem playing at all. I received the new ZZ-Top album "La Futura" today from Amazon, and while they probably could have fit the entire album on an LP 33 RPM with 5 tracks per side, they decided to release it as a two record 12" EP-45 album instead. 45 RPMs is pretty fast tracking for a 12" record, and I had some momentary skips initially when setting the needle on the record edge, but I dialed up the anti-skate control from "2" to "4" and now even the ZZ-Top 12" 45-EP plays flawless. Quick, simple, and painless fix! The bass is also super rich on my new turntable as well when played back on the line-input to my stereo system thanks to the high quality built in RIAA preamp. Moral of the story; don't buy cheap junk turntables...

Red hot album

Yeah I know there's a little too late to write in here now, but I considered this important, because reading to your question I saw that everyone answered about the quality of the turntable model etc. I have myself a couple too and I know that sometimes there are records that don't play in those cheap hype turntables, but it happened to me that I had that same issue with the RedHotChilliPeppers Stadium Arcadium record (4xLP box). I bought it new, still sealed, and all. When I tried it at first it has barely unplayable, full of small scratches in the grooves that made several song across the 8 sides to jump...records even came from sleeves with greasy stains. So disappointed to pay that much for a record that pays so much attention to artwork but barely none to record quality. maybe I was just unlucky, but my guess is that those records where very improperly handled by the manufacturer. It happened me with The Beatles white album, At first I went back to the record store and they changed it to me for a new copy, but then again same issue, two times scratched in the same song !!! ... ¿Have you been able to play record properly without issues in a better quality turntable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.