USB turuntable skips on new vinyl (2000+), but plays vintage records fine - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 12:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
You should be able to find a decent used DJ turntable for that price. It will be soooo much better than what you now have.

Some newer TTs have a built in phono preamp. If you don't find that, count a phono to USB into your budget. Behringer: U-PHONO UFO202
Most DJ turntables come with a straight tonearm. You can't properly align a cartridge with a straight tonearm. If a DJ table is bought make sure it has a S shaped arm. DJ tables also run the gamut, from pieces of crap sold at Best Buy not any better than what he already has, too professional models made to take the abuse of a working DJ.

On a budget I don't think you can go wrong with most of the turntables on these pages that are around 300-500 dollars. Just avoid the all in one units from Crosley, Jenson, etc.

Budget Turntables

Turntables at Music Direct
Old 15th October 2012, 10:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own a DJ scratching turntable. That would just ruin the records anyway. I just want a nice quality hifi turntable with stereo RCA jacks to plug into my existing sound system, that plays back all 33-1/3 and 45 rpm microgroove records at an appropriate speed. Thanks for the feedback.

Is this a good buy?
MUSIC HALL USB-1 TURNTABLE at Music Direct

I really can't justify spending any more than $200, but this table $250 turntable appears to have all the anti-skating controls my cheapish turntable lacks, plus a real AC power cord and a full sized platter. Plus it's got perfect RIAA playback equalization from 20-20kHz..

A couple of observations about my "junk" USB turntable: Cost: $70. No AC power adapter (have to use a universal USB AC outlet plug. The rubber platter that sits on the turntable is undersized and wobbly. The playing the arm is flimsy and rocks too much. Plus there appear to be zero adjustments to be made on anything. The internal ADC is junk and produces a high-pitched whiny noise if I attempt to record via USB. Additionally, I just looked online and saw some high-end stylus cost more than this player does, so it would be kind of ignorant to buy a fine stylus cartridge and install it on a crappy player.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hello stardust4ever

Yes that MUSIC HALL USB-1 TURNTABLE are much better.

If you did buy the cheappy turntable at Amazon, they are quite open to refund, try to get a refund of your cheappy turntable.

Bye

Gaetan
Old 16th October 2012, 06:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I did not buy the crappy "Hype" turntable at Amazon. I bought it at Hastings in Alexandria, La, and unfortunately returning to the store I bought it at means driving 100 miles one way and approximately $40 worth of gas, but I believe there's another Hastings location a little closer to home in Longview, Tx. I'll try returning it later this week. I ultimately decided on the Audio Technica AT-LP120 because it uses a quartz operated direct drive and doesn't suffer from "wow and flutter" syndrome like the Music Halls and other belt-driven models. #2 most popular turntable on Amazon can't be wrong! The only thing my crappy Hype briefcase model has that this one doesn't, is an auto-stop mechanism, which isn't really essential. I probably won't be using the pitch/speed controls much, although it is nice to have, and I definitely won't be "stratching" my shiny new 180-gram records with it, or attempting to run the turntable in reverse, LOL...
Old 24th October 2012, 09:04 AM   #15
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The industry standard DJ turntable was the Technics SL-1200 and 1210, which are quite well regarded by audiophiles. DJs are increasingly turning to laptops and digital media, so there ought to be some good deals on used decks. Try local music stores that rent gear, local online ads, raver forums.

Turntables are less common in thrift stores and yard sales these days. Check out stores that specialize in "vintage" audio, and used record stores: they often carry used turntables as well.

For a USB phono preamp, check out the ART USB Phono Plus; it packs a lot of features into a solid little box for under $100, including line out (so you can play records through your home theater receiver), S/PDIF I/O, and a headphone output.

Last edited by dangus; 24th October 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 24th October 2012, 11:53 AM   #16
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd recommend a Technics SL-1200 mk.2 without a seconds hesitation. It was taken up by the DJ crowd - true - but was originally designed as an audiophile turntable. They're built to last too (which is why they were popular with DJs). There are a zillion mods you can make to it over time as well, to really take it into high-end territory, but even stock it's very, very good (if set up correctly!). I've owed Garrard 301s, 401s, a Technics SP-10 mk.II, and quite honestly with a few mods the Technics SL-1200 can hold its own, and is capable of remarkable performance. Don't take my word for it though:

KAB Electro Acoustics http://www.kabusa.com (click on the '1200 primer' on left of page)

Technics SL-1200MK2 on thevintageknob.org

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19656

Incidentally, even though it can look a bit plasticy/cheap in some photos, it's anything but; the top chassis/plate is all metal. Very well built, and pretty darned heavy! Ignore any audiophile snobs, the SL-1200 takes a lot of beating, and the sky is the limit should you ever decide to do any mods/upgrades. Better speed stability than any belt drive around the same price too.

You can get them dirt cheap if you're patient/lucky, though now word is out proces are rising fast...

I love mine!

Last edited by johnm; 24th October 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own a DJ scratching turntable. That would just ruin the records anyway.
Really? How? Would a DJ turntable seduce you into scratching?

See the 2 posts above.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I finally received my new Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable in the mail last Friday, and after the initial setup (recommended tracking weight for the stylus is 1.5-2.5 grams, so I calibrated it for 2 grams), I am very happy with it! The new records that skipped on the old Hype turntable had no problem playing at all. I received the new ZZ-Top album "La Futura" today from Amazon, and while they probably could have fit the entire album on an LP 33 RPM with 5 tracks per side, they decided to release it as a two record 12" EP-45 album instead. 45 RPMs is pretty fast tracking for a 12" record, and I had some momentary skips initially when setting the needle on the record edge, but I dialed up the anti-skate control from "2" to "4" and now even the ZZ-Top 12" 45-EP plays flawless. Quick, simple, and painless fix! The bass is also super rich on my new turntable as well when played back on the line-input to my stereo system thanks to the high quality built in RIAA preamp. Moral of the story; don't buy cheap junk turntables...
Old 10th April 2014, 07:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Red hot album

Yeah I know there's a little too late to write in here now, but I considered this important, because reading to your question I saw that everyone answered about the quality of the turntable model etc. I have myself a couple too and I know that sometimes there are records that don't play in those cheap hype turntables, but it happened to me that I had that same issue with the RedHotChilliPeppers Stadium Arcadium record (4xLP box). I bought it new, still sealed, and all. When I tried it at first it has barely unplayable, full of small scratches in the grooves that made several song across the 8 sides to jump...records even came from sleeves with greasy stains. So disappointed to pay that much for a record that pays so much attention to artwork but barely none to record quality. maybe I was just unlucky, but my guess is that those records where very improperly handled by the manufacturer. It happened me with The Beatles white album, At first I went back to the record store and they changed it to me for a new copy, but then again same issue, two times scratched in the same song !!! ... ¿Have you been able to play record properly without issues in a better quality turntable?

Hide this!Advertise here!