Anyone an amateur/ham operator? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2012, 08:11 AM   #41
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Apply?

or go to ur local club or hamfest and take the test(s)...

_-_-bear

I am not someone who has a vehicle, so going somewhere further than I can walk is usually difficult. But as I understood it, there was no test to take. You were grandfathered to a general if you could show your technician licence from before whatever date it was.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:18 PM   #42
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Assuming it is still a valid license, probably you can do it all online now.

Otherwise I am sure that there are hams in one of the local clubs that would be able to either provide you with transportation, if needed, or else able to get some VE's to come to you in order to give you the test. If you need this, I'd inquire.

_-_-bear
Old 9th November 2012, 12:27 PM   #43
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

freax, I'd go and confront the SOB who stole from me... screw that.
at least "out" the person in public at a meeting and embarrass him.

I don't know what the rules are down in Ozland, but there is no code in the USA now... learning CW requires mostly copying CW. In the USA ARRL used to transmit CW code practice sessions. The way to work it is to learn the alphabet by sending letters every time you see a letter you know, anywhere, all day long - dit-dah-dit-dit.

Then once you are able to know all the letters, copy the code practice from the HIGHEST speed you can copy any letters at all, back down to the slowest speed. Not the other way around. Different people learn at different rates. I was super slow. Others are very fast.

I'd not wait to "get into" ham radio. Just go and do.

You don't need an SDR rig, you can buy a very inexpensive board and have an SDR receiver for <$100 USD that does everything you need or want. Also you can slap an SDR board off the IF of many standard IF receivers...

_-_-bear
Old 9th November 2012, 02:36 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd like to get my tech converted to a general.....Assuming it is still a valid license, probably you can do it all online now.......But as I understood it, there was no test to take. You were grandfathered to a general if you could show your technician licence from before whatever date it was.
The technician license changed several times during the times that it existed. There was a period of about 5 years in the 80's that a license called the "tech plus" existed. That license used the Novice 5 WPM code test, and the General theory test (element 2??). Some early "tech" licenses might have used the general test. The later "tech" license had its own easier theory test. If you had a "tech plus" from that period, you have already passed the general theory test, and since there is no code test any more, you now qualify for the general license.

The FCC stated this when the code requirements were lifted. They did not clarify exactly what the "proof of original tech plus" requirements were. Confusion was common, then the ARRL stated that you must have a copy of your original license. That eliminated most people since those licenses were more than 10 years old, and had been renewed. The ARRL stated a few years later that a listing in an old call book showing a tech plus and a valid date was acceptable proof, since the call books were generated from the FCC databases. More recently the QRZ website started posting scans of old call books. I got a VEC to confirm through the ARRL that these were "valid proof."

Quote:
Assuming it is still a valid license, probably you can do it all online now.
You can renew a valid or recently (less than 1 year) expired license online via the FCC's web site, but you can not upgrade.

All new ham licensing is done by VEC's now. (Volunteer Examening Committee). Converting a valid tech plus to a general would still require VEC intervention. It took me several years of calling ham clubs to find the cooperative VEC who called the ARRL for me.
Old 9th November 2012, 02:38 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Do any of you make packet radio and or APRS?
Old 9th November 2012, 04:16 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

When I got my tech in the 1960's the test was the novice code and the general theory. I have my license from the 1980's or whenever it was. I am still validly licensed. I just don't know what to do with the above.

There is no rush. I live in an apartment building near an airport. I don't currently operate a station.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:05 PM   #47
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Apply for the upgrade, online, FCC site.

_-_-

Check the ARRL site for info on what to do also.
Call the local club and ask on the phone... etc.

Post to a ham radio forum.
Old 9th November 2012, 10:49 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

I'm not a HAM (I did do some interesting broadcast band AM & FM transmitters though).
But this HAM shack came up on a non-related forum. I love the ground system. Looks like an almost 10 acre antenna farm.

W8JI Hamshack
Antennas Radios Amplifiers Baluns and Receiving Systems for HF
Old 12th November 2012, 12:09 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Today I asked a friend who is more knowledgeable than I, he's been licensed for just short of sixty years and is an active amateur. He believes I am correct that I should just have to show my old license. But he is not at all sure to whom.

I read through the FCC rules (mercifully not all of them) and found what I believe to be the relevant section:

eCFR &mdash; Code of Federal Regulations

But now I don't know what to do with that information.

Edit: I forgot to say I did not see any way to apply on the FCC site.

Last edited by Lavcat; 12th November 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:22 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

I typed a long detailed answer that vanished when this POS Vista computer decided to freeze in the middle of the reply. Here is the short story:

The FCC does not deal with ham radio licensing anymore, all new licensing and upgrades are handled by the ARRL's volunteer examining corps (VEC). Their VE's (volunteer examiners) administer tests and file the paperwork with the FCC. As stated in the CFR, a VE will accept your old license and file the genaral paperwork. They may charge a reasonable fee for this. It was $17 when I went, regardeless of whether I took the test or not.

The most common places to find a VE is a hamfest or a ham radio club. Google "princeton ham radio club". There are several. There is also a list of all 167 licensed ham operators in Princeton. Maybe you can find someone who lives nearby, or who is willing to help with transportation.

After giving up on converting my license to a general, I found a club 20 miles away that set me up with an extra. Most clubs are willing to help continue and extend the ham radio community.

Hide this!Advertise here!