Anyone an amateur/ham operator? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 05:30 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have a FT767, a FT2400 (actually in 145070 PKT), and FT7800 for fone (144560 QAP), the antennas all made in home with copper tubing (a vertical 10mts 1/4 lambda that uses my ceiling plates as the ground plane, a vertical for 2 colineal 1/4 plus 1/2 in phase with a stub (FT2400) and a slot skeletos 1/2 lambda for fone (FT7800), and a folded dipole horizontal for 10mts made of 2.5mm electric standard wire.

Under the antennas, there are 9 solar cells of 10Pk e/a and a switching regulator made and designed of my own (two 100KHz SMPS in parallel antiphase), and a 160Ah truck battery, from which all of them, but the 767 are powered (this is to 220V Power line), plus a Am7910 fsk modem made also by me, and some 12V low power lamps from Osram (11W), one in each room for the frequent cases when 220VCA turns to 0VCA.
Old 16th October 2012, 05:47 PM   #32
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
HT44/SX117/HT45 here -- and an expired license!
You get up to a year after expiration to renew without having to take any tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The test has become a rather simple inconvinience. It is multiple guess. All the questions in the question pool are posted on the internet....with answers. We used to call this cheating in school.

There are web sites where you can take practice tests for free. Each test is randomized with diferent questions. Just spend an afternoon taking them over and over again until you consistently score in the 80% range, then go for the real test before the memory fades.....that's a few hours in my case!
During the morning of the ham cram one of the teachers mentioned the practice tests at Callsign Database by QRZ.COM. I got out my netbook, registered, and took all three practice tests and passed while the teachers were going on (apparently I didn't miss much of what they were saying), so I had good confidence I would pass.

But even with my decades of accumulated technical knowledge, it did seem just a little too easy. I've heard that in very recent years amateur radio is making a resurgence, though it was dying out over the last couple of decades with the rise of the Internet. Does anyone have any historical figures for licensed hams offhand?

But it seems the tests have been dumbed down over the decades in an effort to get more people into amateur radio and keep it from dying out.
Old 16th October 2012, 06:07 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

N7ECR I still enjoy the hobby, just not contesting.
Old 17th October 2012, 02:53 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
I never contesting. I enjoy large conversations with friends, generally about radio, electronics, mechanic, cooking, music or something like these.
Old 17th October 2012, 03:19 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Does anyone have any historical figures for licensed hams offhand?
A bit over 700,000 Amateur Radio Station Statistics

I enjoyed "Field Day" -- and remember that it took months for the results to show up.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:34 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I never contesting......I enjoyed "Field Day"
I have never been interested in contesting either. I have done a few field days though. There is a ham club here (W4MOT) and I am still one of the few members left. We used to do a multi pronged attack on field day. About half of the club would go to a local county park, set up one or two towers, a few generators, and generally raise the RF level of the Everglades by a few dB. There was a field day about a week after the opening of the 902-928 MHZ band to ham radio (1985?). I made a few radios for that band which gave us the first documented contact on the band in Florida (possibly the US) and one more band than everyone else had. I would help set up the towers and then crank up my ATV rig and show off our set up to South Florida through one of the ATV repeaters.

Quote:
Does anyone have any historical figures for licensed hams offhand?
One of our club members keeps claiming that there are more licensed hams now than there ever was. Don't know what his source is.

Quote:
I was in high school when i got my general
Back in the 60's you had to take the ham test at the local FCC field office if you lived within 50 miles of one. I had studied and could do about 7 WPM but my father never found the time to take me to the FCC, so my Hallicrafters S-46 and ARC-5 never got used.

I wandered into a testing session at the Miami hamfest one day back in the 80's and got my Novice license, but never used it. A year or two later a friend and I were sitting at our table on a rainy day at the Broward hamfest when the announcer said that they were giving license tests. We went to the ARRL table, bought the study book, studied for about an hour, then took the test. Neither of us gould do the 13WPM code but both of us passed the General written. At the time there was a license called the Tech-Plus which we both got. I kept mine current for the past 25 years or so. The Tech-Plus can be converted to a General today IF you can prove that you got it during the two or three year period that it used the same written test as the general.

For years the only acceptable proof was the ORIGINAL license which I did not have. This all changed when old call books got published on the internet. My Tech-Plus showed up in the 1986 and later call books, and a local ham club agreed that this was sufficient proof. They just wanted me to come to a testing session, pay the testing/filing fee and walk out with a general ticket. I asked "if I am paying the test fee, can I take the extra test and walk away with an extra if I pass." They agreed, I passed. I used the QRZ practice tests for a whole day on the test night. I was consistently getting 100, and I had seen all of the 200 possible questions several times.
Old 27th October 2012, 10:14 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

G8VOQ

Rich
Old 9th November 2012, 02:58 AM   #38
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

WA2CPR

I'd like to get my tech converted to a general. I've been licensed for almost fifty years, and I have an old original license. I also had an FCC First Class Commercial license back when there were such things. Sigh.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:20 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Apply?

or go to ur local club or hamfest and take the test(s)...

_-_-bear
Old 9th November 2012, 05:13 AM   #40
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

I haven't taken the test yet either, but I can ace the online US tests up to a technicians licence.

I sometimes listen in on one of the following:
Kenwood TS-430
Trio TS-510
2x Trio 9R-59DS
Realistic DX-394

However, even with a Bhi DSP I find it difficult to copy much of anything where I am living at the moment, the power box here is jam packed with smart meters which completely obliterate the bands, which is the main reason why I am limited in getting my licence, even though thats not really a limitation, I just like/prefer HF more than VHF/UHF.

That and the finances are going towards good audio at the moment :P

(*#)(@*)(#@ SMART METERS!!!

The only morse I know is SOS and CQ DX, but I learnt CQ DX not so long back while playing Fallout 3, so I am progressing :P

Oh theres another reason too why I am hesitant in going to the local club to get my licence, one of the hams there stole from me while I was at a swap meet, since then I've been hesitant to pick up the hobby and quite possibly talk to the person who stole from me.

I would much rather get into HAM once I've got a SDR and a proficient hand in CW.

Last edited by freax; 9th November 2012 at 05:27 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!