Anyone an amateur/ham operator? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 06:10 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, DIY radio. Only radio amateurs can do this legally, apart from a few very low power applications in some countries only.

I can make some apparatus here which wiggles some electrons in a piece of wire, and tens hundreds or thousands of miles away some electrons wiggle in someone else's piece of wire in exactly the same way. That is the magic of radio.
Old 10th October 2012, 06:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
An interesting point are regenerative receiver, mainly made of vacuum tubes. In the digital era, with big DSPs and too complex receiver (triple or more conversions), and lots of SMPS sputtering noise in all HF bands, a very simple regen can do the job better than them. A simple 12AU7 can perform several times better than a Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom sophisticated receiver. I can sure you it's true.

See RegenRX at yahoo groups.

Last edited by Osvaldo de Banfield; 10th October 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:56 PM   #13
drj759 is offline drj759  United States
diyAudio Member

Got my license this past July: KB3YYZ

The Wife barely understood my obsession with tubes and audio. Now she has to put up with wires hanging between the trees.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A question for you though - with the ability to Skype by voice or video to anyone with a PC/tablet/mobile what is left for the appeal of amateur radio?
Last bastion of the archaic nerd

73 de N5KAT
Old 11th October 2012, 02:59 AM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

NONSENSE! I am not a nerd!
...excuse me, I see a pen leaked in my pocket protector... be right back...

_-_-
Old 11th October 2012, 10:51 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I must confess that I don't understand the attraction of amateur radio for people who buy a box, buy an antenna, buy a ready-made cable to connect them then have extremely brief conversations around the world, telling lies about signal strength ("5 and 9 here, could you repeat your callsign?"). I suppose collecting prefixes can be a form of train-spotting, but that is for 'anoraks' not 'nerds'.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I must confess that I don't understand the attraction of amateur radio for people who buy a box, buy an antenna, buy a ready-made cable to connect them then have extremely brief conversations around the world, telling lies about signal strength ("5 and 9 here, could you repeat your callsign?"). I suppose collecting prefixes can be a form of train-spotting, but that is for 'anoraks' not 'nerds'.
It is the difference between "easy" and "pretty". I know some people that has a "superior" (The highest category of ham radio here in Argentina" that don't know how to calculate a dipole, nor distinguish between the + and the - in a battery. I have the second category ("Intermedia", intermediate) and have the Electronic Engineer grade, and all my VHFs powered from sun with lots of electronic designed of my own.
Old 11th October 2012, 01:23 PM   #18
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
That is only one aspect of the way conversations or contacts happen. Some people work that way. Among the reasons that you will hear these brief contacts is the practice of "contesting" and "rare DX". Both related.

In this situation the aim is to make the contact, or to make the greatest number of contacts (contests), move on, and not "hog" the DX station's frequency so that others can have a chance.

Also, back in the days of the "iron curtain" amateur radio ops from eastern Europe really could not say very much without being sent to a gulag, so those contacts were always very short. Same with any country under a dictator, anywhere in the world.

Now, as a rule *most* amateur radio conversations (QSOs) are *not* short, and may cover a wide range of topics and areas of interest, many unrelated to ham radio.

The attraction there, to what is called a "rag chew" is having a relaxed conversation with either a group of people that you actually know and talk to often, or with an individual or group that you do not know and may never have spoken to. It's the randomness of both topic and who is on the air that make it dynamic.

The other aspect that makes it nice is that usually people are not nasty, regardless of how they may act or behave elsewhere or at other times. Sort of like how this forum reads, albeit there are moderators here and none on ham radio. So you can have a pleasant and interesting interaction, or you might just listen in... most hams listen more than they talk.

The other aspect is the atmospherics. The higher frequency HF bands tend to favor longer distances. The lower frequency bands tend to favor closer in (0-300mi) contacts. Although this varies, as I heard VK7 on 75M from upstate NY a few days back at "greyline" (pre-sunrise)! And California the other night. Both somewhat unusual.

If you are interested in hearing what it is like, at least here on the east coast of the USA, especially with the AM crowd, one can listen online via a number of internet sites that have tunable receivers. Some require registration, and most do *not* have good antennas, unfortunately. But in the AM, between about 7:00AM and 10:00AM, and then later early evening, say between 5:00 and 10:00PM one will hear a lot of AM stations between the frequencies of 3.870mHz. and 3.890mHz. Lately favoring the lower end around 3.875. Have a listen!

Again, you have to keep in mind that *radio is magic*.

It's sort of like the audio hobby in many ways. Especially in terms of putting together a neat system... it's just that instead of having people over to listen and talk about the sound, you talk to people with the gear...

The internet and the phone are simply not the same thing. No magic!

_-_-bear

PS. Oh, people who do what you said, buy their gear only, are often derided by others as "appliance operators". Hams who are really into the hobby generally do a lot more hands on building, and some are designers/engineers on par with the best that we see here on DiyAudio. Just like there are leading edge designs here, there are leading edge designs, projects, group buys, etc., in ham radio.

Last edited by bear; 11th October 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:46 PM   #19
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

There was a "ham cram" class/testing at the local hackerspace (my, how things have changed over the decades) last summer, and I took it. Having had a bunch of electrical knowledge from an embedded-and-hardware design career and my father having been a ham since I was about five, I passed all three (Tech, General, Extra) tests, and I'm now AK4XL. I have a few receivers, just need a transmitter or HT or something to get on the air.

I thought about "studying for a license" all these decades, and I remember when they dropped the code license for the Technician's ... I was just at a radio club meeting where some OM talked about getting a Novice license (which included 5 PWM code) in 8th grade, and back then it was only good for a year and at the end of that year you had to pass the General test which included a 13PWM code test. I recently read the code test was totally dropped from all license classes circa 2005.
Old 14th October 2012, 08:47 PM   #20
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

yes, "no code" appliance ops.

...which btw, is ok since everyone has to start somehow.

_-_-bear

Hide this!Advertise here!