Anyone an amateur/ham operator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Assuming it is still a valid license, probably you can do it all online now.

Otherwise I am sure that there are hams in one of the local clubs that would be able to either provide you with transportation, if needed, or else able to get some VE's to come to you in order to give you the test. If you need this, I'd inquire.

_-_-bear

freax, I'd go and confront the SOB who stole from me... screw that.
at least "out" the person in public at a meeting and embarrass him.

I don't know what the rules are down in Ozland, but there is no code in the USA now... learning CW requires mostly copying CW. In the USA ARRL used to transmit CW code practice sessions. The way to work it is to learn the alphabet by sending letters every time you see a letter you know, anywhere, all day long - dit-dah-dit-dit.

Then once you are able to know all the letters, copy the code practice from the HIGHEST speed you can copy any letters at all, back down to the slowest speed. Not the other way around. Different people learn at different rates. I was super slow. Others are very fast.

I'd not wait to "get into" ham radio. Just go and do.

You don't need an SDR rig, you can buy a very inexpensive board and have an SDR receiver for <$100 USD that does everything you need or want. Also you can slap an SDR board off the IF of many standard IF receivers...

_-_-bear

I'd like to get my tech converted to a general.....Assuming it is still a valid license, probably you can do it all online now.......But as I understood it, there was no test to take. You were grandfathered to a general if you could show your technician licence from before whatever date it was.

The technician license changed several times during the times that it existed. There was a period of about 5 years in the 80's that a license called the "tech plus" existed. That license used the Novice 5 WPM code test, and the General theory test (element 2??). Some early "tech" licenses might have used the general test. The later "tech" license had its own easier theory test. If you had a "tech plus" from that period, you have already passed the general theory test, and since there is no code test any more, you now qualify for the general license.

The FCC stated this when the code requirements were lifted. They did not clarify exactly what the "proof of original tech plus" requirements were. Confusion was common, then the ARRL stated that you must have a copy of your original license. That eliminated most people since those licenses were more than 10 years old, and had been renewed. The ARRL stated a few years later that a listing in an old call book showing a tech plus and a valid date was acceptable proof, since the call books were generated from the FCC databases. More recently the QRZ website started posting scans of old call books. I got a VEC to confirm through the ARRL that these were "valid proof."

Assuming it is still a valid license, probably you can do it all online now.

You can renew a valid or recently (less than 1 year) expired license online via the FCC's web site, but you can not upgrade.

All new ham licensing is done by VEC's now. (Volunteer Examening Committee). Converting a valid tech plus to a general would still require VEC intervention. It took me several years of calling ham clubs to find the cooperative VEC who called the ARRL for me.

When I got my tech in the 1960's the test was the novice code and the general theory. I have my license from the 1980's or whenever it was. I am still validly licensed. I just don't know what to do with the above.

There is no rush. I live in an apartment building near an airport. I don't currently operate a station.

Today I asked a friend who is more knowledgeable than I, he's been licensed for just short of sixty years and is an active amateur. He believes I am correct that I should just have to show my old license. But he is not at all sure to whom.

I read through the FCC rules (mercifully not all of them) and found what I believe to be the relevant section:

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

But now I don't know what to do with that information.

Edit: I forgot to say I did not see any way to apply on the FCC site.

Last edited:
I typed a long detailed answer that vanished when this POS Vista computer decided to freeze in the middle of the reply. Here is the short story:

The FCC does not deal with ham radio licensing anymore, all new licensing and upgrades are handled by the ARRL's volunteer examining corps (VEC). Their VE's (volunteer examiners) administer tests and file the paperwork with the FCC. As stated in the CFR, a VE will accept your old license and file the genaral paperwork. They may charge a reasonable fee for this. It was $17 when I went, regardeless of whether I took the test or not.

The most common places to find a VE is a hamfest or a ham radio club. Google "princeton ham radio club". There are several. There is also a list of all 167 licensed ham operators in Princeton. Maybe you can find someone who lives nearby, or who is willing to help with transportation.

After giving up on converting my license to a general, I found a club 20 miles away that set me up with an extra. Most clubs are willing to help continue and extend the ham radio community.

Well, yes, my friend I spoke with today lives in Princeton...not that that helped, and he is someone who has won an all expenses paid trip to Stockholm for his contributions to the field. Maybe the ARRL would help me, I've been a life member for about forty years.

I have a feeling the deleterious changes to the amateur service started about the same time the Supreme Court ruled the FCC could not charge for amateur licenses. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

Edit: oh, neat, my name is on the list of 167 even though I do not actually live in Princeton.

Last edited:
oh, neat, my name is on the list of 167 even though I do not actually live in Princeton.

The FCC thinks you do. Their database is public information, you can find the address of any US ham by Googling their call letters. There are lists like this for just about every US city. There are "call books" listing every US ham. Some of the old ones have been scanned and put online. One of these online books was deemed acceptable proof of license for me to get my upgrade.

Last edited:
The fault is with the post office

Our post office thinks that I am in Ft. Lauderdale which is 12 miles away. I can see the post office from my front yard. It clearly says " USPS Sunrise Branch" over the front door.

The IRS is smarter than the FCC, they ask where you really live.

They can program a laser guided field agent right to your front door.......Then their agent can crash their car into your mailbox while trying to leave. Her Ford Taurus was no match for my immovable mailbox post......good laugh!

<snip snip>

The FCC does not deal with ham radio licensing anymore, all new licensing and upgrades are handled by the ARRL's volunteer examining corps (VEC). Their VE's (volunteer examiners) administer tests and file the paperwork with the FCC. .

My license renewal was directly via the FCC on their website, although that was I think 3 or so years back now, but I am unaware that they do not handle this. The VE, afaik, merely give the tests.

_-_-bear

Solar ham radio station

Here are some photos of my sun powered ham radio station.
1) The rigs: A SWR meter YS500, a FT7800 (Fone), a mic preamp (high, right), a AM 7910 FSK modulator home brewed, a FT2400 (Packet), and finall a HF FT 767 (at 220V, the only not operated from 12V). Last, a FT470 used only as monitor.

2) 9 units 10PK solar cells,

3) The 200KHz home made switching charger battery regulator, with charge ammeter and battery voltage meter,

4) The regulator,

5) Copper tubing 2 mts colineal antenna,

6) The 10m antenna: a folded dipole horizontal, and a 1/4 lambda vertical using the metallic roof as the ground plane,

7 and 8) A 2m slot skeleton antenna, copper tubing made.

9) An near photo of the colineal.

Attachments

• Yaesus.JPG
    Yaesus.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Solar Cells 04.JPG
    Solar Cells 04.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Sun Power.JPG
    Sun Power.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Reguleta.JPG
    Reguleta.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Antenas 01.JPG
    Antenas 01.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Antenas 02.JPG
    Antenas 02.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Antenas 03.JPG
    Antenas 03.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Slot Skeleton 01.JPG
    Slot Skeleton 01.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Colineal 01.JPG
    Colineal 01.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 27
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.