Are you interested in LED light? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2012, 02:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Are you interested in LED light?

Hi everybody,

I am elina, nice to meet you.

I would like to know your opinion about led light, do you think it is necessary for us to change our traditional light into LED light for saving more energy and cost.

Any comment will be highly appreciated, thank you.
Old 6th October 2012, 04:40 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

My only concern is that to save on electricity the industry is producing "bulbs" that give off much less light than I would like. (that I am used to)

Some of the early attempts used 60% of normal bulb power but only gave 50% of light output...actually less efficient.

LED's do last longer but can't run as hot as incandescent bulbs when generating the same light output...they are getting better though.

I use one for a front light...it is strong enough to light up the house number and uses a lot less power than the regular bulb.

I guess it just depends on what you are replacing.

IMHO

Last edited by DUG; 6th October 2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: some to Some
Old 6th October 2012, 07:18 AM   #3
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Those "environmentalists" don't dare to compare the efficiency of LED with that of fluorescent tubes.

And they conveniently leave out the power supply when claiming high efficiency and long life.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you use electric heating, switching from incandescent lights to anything else electric saves you nothing. The heat just has to come from somewhere else. Plus, I suspect that the radiant heat from an overhead lamp heats a room more evenly.
Old 10th October 2012, 01:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

35 years in the lighting industry, I can tell you for residential applications, these flourescent and LED bulbs are a scam. For large commercial applications, there may be a tax write-off and savings. For residential use, the lamps have a long payback period. Think about it... how long are your lights on at home? Usually, from when it gets dark, to when you go to bed. A few hours at best. Instead, focus on billboards, roadways, and parking lots for energy savings.
Old 10th October 2012, 01:08 AM   #6
VA2GXB is offline VA2GXB  Canada
diyAudio Member

Or - as will be my case eventually - when you generate your own power.
Less power has to be generated for X lumens. This will have an emissions payback also...but unless EVERY house changes, which they won't - not at today's LED vs CFL prices!
Old 10th October 2012, 01:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Talking about return on investment... a superior once told me that while each LED lamp costs a lot, if you have a lot of them the payback period is shorter.

I was like

-_-
Old 10th October 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just had an idea...

I'm a supporter of the idea of having low voltage DC power lines running throughout the house. Not feasible now, every time I attempted to make it a reality I killed the idea quickly, but in the future it might be possible with a single high-efficiency AC-DC supply that stays efficient regardless of load.

Now if we wire some LEDs to that DC, it would probably make sense

Or not, since the light still comes from band gap + Stokes shift.
Old 10th October 2012, 01:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA2GXB View Post
Or - as will be my case eventually - when you generate your own power.
Less power has to be generated for X lumens. This will have an emissions payback also...but unless EVERY house changes, which they won't - not at today's LED vs CFL prices!
Good luck with that. Its very difficult to create an ample, reliable power source on your own property. Please don't tell me solar or wind! Your own water wheel? Maybe your own reactor? Tap in to the overhead power lines?
Old 10th October 2012, 01:58 AM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
If you use electric heating, switching from incandescent lights to anything else electric saves you nothing.
Spoken like a true Canadian!

Lowering the load on air conditioning in southern buildings as well as TV studios can made a big difference. Down South, we use an amazing amount of power to keep cool. Adding even more heat inside the building with lighting doesn't help.

Hide this!Advertise here!