Are you interested in LED light? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 10:06 PM   #31
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

its very bad for your eyes, and its serious
Old 20th October 2012, 09:07 AM   #32
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoole View Post
One thing that's bugged me about these non LED, energy saving fluorescent bulbs is the noise! You can hear the 50Hz derived buzz they give off. I was having yet another one of those head scratching hum hunting sessions once, only to discover it was the bloomin' lightbulb.
I'm certain filament bulbs didn't do that.
I'm very likely to move to LED, or somehow return to filament for rooms where I may listen to hifi.
Yeah! And I'm running class A! I am an enemy of the environment! No really. I'm terrible. Sometimes, I charge my phone! There, I've said it.
I have heard filament lights buzz. It is usually not too long before that little quire pop.

When I re-did my office, where I now sit, replacing the florescent lights was a big hit on the list. Can't stand the noise.

Florescents also make food look bad. Eateries stick with incandescent for that reason.

None of my LED lights make noise so far. I have about a dozen of different brands.
Old 20th October 2012, 09:10 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
I am SO glad for the higher refresh rates of computer displays. The old 60 Hz tubes I could actually see. Now we have florescent flickering at 120 with an LCD mask at 80. I wonder if the beat is some of what gives me so much eye strain? LED lit monitor?
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:18 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I replaced most of my lights with warm-white LED, I have the LED's close to the ceiling pointing up, so all I get is reflected light, very nice and easy on the eyes. I have a total of 24w LED in my living room, used to have 300w of halogen, light output may be lower, but dispersion is better.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 3rd November 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:23 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
LEDs arent always silent either, but that's only if you're using PWM dimming as the inductor can sing at the PWM frequency. At 100% duty cycle though there is no noise.
We have LED lights in the bedroom. Their filter starts buzzing when my wife plugs in the charger for her notebook into the same outlet. I am going to open now that device and glue the coil by epoxy.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:18 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Just for a test, what happens if you plugged the charger into a good line filter?
Let us know how potting it works and which brand bulb.
Old 5th November 2012, 09:35 PM   #37
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

After seeing PWM controlled LEDS on an oscilloscope, and on a video camera, I've replaced my desk lamp with one of those highly reliable, cheap as ever (I've got a stockpile), wire-inside-a-vacuum-tube-thingies:

Click the image to open in full size.

Its on a variac and turned on 24/7 so its going to last a loooonnnnnggg time as long as I don't knock it around too much, its also extremely easy on the eyes, being 25 watt and on a variac, so it gives me exactly the right amount of light that I need when and where I need it. It would be better with a 60 watt globe though.

Click the image to open in full size.

I hate PWM controlled LED's but current controlled leds are fine, I also hate Flourescent, but I don't mind some Flourescents, it depends on the brightness (40 watt is fine) and the colour temperature, I generally prefer 7000k aquarium lamps over the generic 6300k daylight tubes. Maybe I'm really a fish at heart? Gee I don't know anymore, all I know is LED light is too intense and directional for me to use or like it on my desktop here.

Last edited by freax; 5th November 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:02 PM   #38
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree. Incandecsence is the best light. You want to save on electric bill, turn the heater setting down a few degrees. (AC setting up a few degrees) Focus your effort where it really counts as far as energy usage and don't deny yourself proper lighting. Besides, there is nothing toxic about a piece of tungsten wire inside a glass bulb with an aluminum base and silver solder.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:14 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Except it is not a vacuum tube. If under 40W, it is full of dry air. Over 40 usually nitrogen.

I totally agree the light quality is better and the color is easily adjustable. I do like LED when a reading light is just a foot above my head as it is much cooler on my no longer well covered head.

Another place won't work in in my spring arm lamps because they are too heavy for the springs.

I too have a stockpile of good old 60W bulbs.
Old 6th November 2012, 01:28 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Yes, and recorded music is very bad for the ears. You can go deaf from listening to MP3s, even at low volume. Most of the young people I know are deaf already, if the stuff they listen to is anything to judge by.

Hide this!Advertise here!