Are you interested in LED light? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 06:30 PM   #121
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Your Epson projector has yellow filters?
Old 20th November 2012, 06:31 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Your Epson projector has yellow filters?
No, but it uses only 3 colors to simulate the whole visible spectrum.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:34 PM   #123
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, RED, GREEN, BLUE. They combine to make a large array of colors, and white. As nice as that white may be for video, you may not like it for ambient light.
And why do those 3 colors simulate the whole visible spectrum? Because those are the 3 color sensors we have in our eyes. Some parrots have 5. Imagine how fine their color vision must be!
Old 20th November 2012, 06:35 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, RED, GREEN, BLUE. They combine to make a large array of colors, and white. As nice as that white may be for video, you may not like it for ambient light.
Exactly! It is what I meant from the beginning.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:37 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And why do those 3 colors simulate the whole visible spectrum? Because those are the color sensors we have in our eyes.
Not necessary. It can be as well an artifact of processing. As I proposed from the beginning, take full set of paints, pencils, flamasters, light them by different sources of light and see the difference. Some of them when lit by LED white light look much darker than when lit by incandescent light. That means, no matter how white are white objects lit by such light, it is incomplete.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 20th November 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:43 PM   #126
diyAudio Moderator

If that is the case, then either the wavelengths of the LEDs don't match the eye, and/or the Q is a bad mismatch. Don't most modern white LEDs use a phosphor to great broad spectrum? They aren't actually RGB, are they?
Old 20th November 2012, 06:51 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If that is the case, then either the wavelengths of the LEDs don't match the eye, and/or the Q is a bad mismatch. Don't most modern white LEDs use a phosphor to great broad spectrum? They aren't actually RGB, are they?
I have no idea which luminophore they use now, but I don't believe that they produce smooth wide spectrum similar to natural sources of light. I will check with CD under the angle this evening, it is the simplest available tool.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #128
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, please let us know! I also have a cheap diffraction spectroscope and will check any white LEDs I can find.
(notice how in the photo of the CD we don't see violet. was it there?)
Old 20th November 2012, 07:08 PM   #129
diyAudio Moderator

Wavebourn, here is another eye spectrum chart I found on the web that seems to agree with many others.
Click the image to open in full size.
Courtesy of One Minute Astronomer

Could we say that we actually have 4 color sensors in the eye? I don't know how the brain processes this, but the sensitivity of the rods falls nicely into the gap between the green and blue cones. What do you think?
Old 20th November 2012, 07:34 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

I see something good in the last picture, regarding that "4'th sense". When I want to see something in the darkness I stop expecting to see colors, like give it up, then it slowly looks like getting brighter, but in gray shadows only.

It makes sense.

Hide this!Advertise here!