DIY Events in Eastern U.S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NE DIY Groups

As part of their regular activities, The Connecticut Audio Society (CAS) has DIY meetings fairly regularly.

https://sites.google.com/site/theconnecticutaudiosociety/Welcome/announcements

Just had a "Stereo 70" shootout last Saturday where members brought and compared their modded 70's - that (22 members attended) apparently generated interest in a DIY (passive?) preamp shootout. Other topics have included DIY music servers, etc.

There is also the NNETG (Northern New England Tube Group) "loosely" based in the Boston area.

Charles

All it takes is an individual to take the lead in response to gentle nudging from those interested.

diyAtlanta got together several years and may do so again.

I think Pigeon Forge (between Sevierville and Gatlinburg, TN and near the Smokies) would be a great location. Plenty for the significant others to do while we show and tell about our creations.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Gatlinburg is an interesting choice. If we get bored with speakers, we can go to Dollywood!

I keep thinking a show in the Raleigh-Cary area would be great. Lot's of folks there, and it's 1/2 way between Maine and Miami, for those who want to travel.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I was thinking about the Wash DC area, Maryland or NC. I'd like it to be in Philadelphia, but that would be selfish of me! ;)

I guess it would take deciding on a central place, then finding a facility with many rooms (for as cheap as possible). I guess, more importantly, finding out if there is real interest in such an event.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LSAF (Dallas) is a great example of a small, inexpensive audio show. It's held a an Embassy suites. But it's not really DIY.

Something along the line of Burning Amp is better for a DIY fest. There is/was another good one in Northern California, too.

Philly could draw a lot of folks - not a bad choice. It just takes a space and a crew to organize it. Big job, but a lot of fun. Something less formal than a hotel would be nice. The guys in Seattle do the speaker contest in a church basement and it works well.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I don't like to fly or else I'd be at BA. I think Philly airport is as bad as any other, except Atlanta, which is large yet works well. This is from my limited experience. San Diego lost my luggage for 3 days. I was there for a wedding. No clothes...bags went to Santa Ana??

Philly could draw a lot of folks - not a bad choice. It just takes a space and a crew to organize it. Big job, but a lot of fun. Something less formal than a hotel would be nice. The guys in Seattle do the speaker contest in a church basement. It works well.

If anyone wants to help set something up, I'm in to help get it organized.

I propose fall or spring to avoid cancellations due to weather.

IMHO, next spring...doing it this fall would only occur with some added anxiety...no necessito :grumpy: Start to pin down the general area (which you have), then the specific location and recruit the core group to help pull it off.

Motel meeting rooms work well (sans HVAC noises) A group rate for the rooms is a plus.
Library meeting rooms & church fellowship halls work well
Even dance studios can work with attention given to acoustic treatments

For a start, focus on a Saturday. People will consider their travel options and balance with their personal budget. Those close will maybe drive in-and-out the same day. Those more distant will overnight. Those who travel the furthest often are the most enthusiastic or have very interesting stuff to show.

A webpage is not a requirement but is helpful to centralize info. It also lends credibility (and advertising for the vendors) if soliciting door prizes

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.