DIY Events in Eastern U.S. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

LSAF (Dallas) is a great example of a small, inexpensive audio show. It's held a an Embassy suites. But it's not really DIY.

Something along the line of Burning Amp is better for a DIY fest. There is/was another good one in Northern California, too.

Philly could draw a lot of folks - not a bad choice. It just takes a space and a crew to organize it. Big job, but a lot of fun. Something less formal than a hotel would be nice. The guys in Seattle do the speaker contest in a church basement and it works well.
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Ah, I would not look forward to any flight into or out of Philly.
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
I don't like to fly or else I'd be at BA. I think Philly airport is as bad as any other, except Atlanta, which is large yet works well. This is from my limited experience. San Diego lost my luggage for 3 days. I was there for a wedding. No clothes...bags went to Santa Ana??

Quote:
Philly could draw a lot of folks - not a bad choice. It just takes a space and a crew to organize it. Big job, but a lot of fun. Something less formal than a hotel would be nice. The guys in Seattle do the speaker contest in a church basement. It works well.
If anyone wants to help set something up, I'm in to help get it organized.

I propose fall or spring to avoid cancellations due to weather.
Old 7th October 2012, 02:36 PM   #14
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

IMHO, next spring...doing it this fall would only occur with some added anxiety...no necessito Start to pin down the general area (which you have), then the specific location and recruit the core group to help pull it off.

Motel meeting rooms work well (sans HVAC noises) A group rate for the rooms is a plus.
Library meeting rooms & church fellowship halls work well
Even dance studios can work with attention given to acoustic treatments

For a start, focus on a Saturday. People will consider their travel options and balance with their personal budget. Those close will maybe drive in-and-out the same day. Those more distant will overnight. Those who travel the furthest often are the most enthusiastic or have very interesting stuff to show.

A webpage is not a requirement but is helpful to centralize info. It also lends credibility (and advertising for the vendors) if soliciting door prizes

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 7th October 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 7th October 2012, 03:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Thanks for the ideas Ed. Before starting a web site, I'd like to start a Wiki here to gauge interest and to post recommedations and ideas. However, anyone is welcome to post ideas on this thread as well.

Thanks,

Vince

Hide this!Advertise here!