installing printer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Per,
that's where I am getting stuck.
Add a printer gives a screen that asks for connection. It defaults to lpt (parallel) I don't have a parallel printer port.

It then asks for the printer .
Brother is at the top of the list but in the Brother options there is no hl6050.

Two stops.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
But the spool printers folder reports as empty.

OK, good.

Still need to understand why it's not working. So, best way to tell is to look for events.

Righ click computer> Manage> on left look for Event Viewer.
Double click Windows Logs. Below will be Application, Setup and System.
Select each, one at a time, and look for errors or warnings. Error are Red Exclaimation points and warning are yellow. Double click to open an error.

We are look for anything that can point to a reason for the printer problem. Since you installed today, look for today's time and date when you installed or tried to print.

Yuo can hi-light a message description, the control C or Ctrl+C. paste it in a text doc or into a post.

Now the Forum has auto logged me out. Lost my reply.
I have to manually log out then log in and now retype my post. here goes.

there are two warnings in 24hrs. no colours. 4entries: rpc, dns, user profile & restart manager.
there are lots of information, again no colours. 23 in last hour and 782 in last 24hrs.
Audit success has 4 in last hour and 200 in last 24hrs. again no colours, just plain B&W.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I doubt that either is a valid installation

Neither is an installation, that's right. I just downloaded and extracted the file from Brother and it's only drivers.

In Printers, right click your printer, select Printer Properties
One of the tabs should give you an option for installing a new driver or to change a driver.

You are going to have to tell it where the driver is, so select the option that will allow you to drill down and to the Temp folder where the driver is located. Select ENG for English, inside should be a file for the driver. Only one will appear.

from post1
I tried installing a printer option, but it gives me option for LPT1, 2, 3, serial 1, 2, 3, 4.
Which do I select? com1 did not do anything.

I tried installing driver, but 6050 was not on the list. I tried update windows hoping to find a new set of drivers. The PC hung.

from post25
that's where I am getting stuck.
Add a printer gives a screen that asks for connection. It defaults to lpt (parallel) I don't have a parallel printer port.

It then asks for the printer .
Brother is at the top of the list but in the Brother options there is no hl6050.

Two stops.

Often with these older printers that have a USB port and LPT ports, the USB port is implemented as a simple USB-to-LPT bridge, not as a "proper" USB interface. This works, but it causes confusion since the printer does not show up as a USB device (not a USB printer, anyway), and the port that you use with the printer is actually an LPT port.

If this is the case with your printer, and if your computer has no actual LPT/printer port, then the printer's USB-LPT bridge should enumerate itself as LPT1 when plugged into the computer. Try using LPT1. (If your computer has a printer port, it will probably be LPT1 and if you plug in this type of "USB" printer, it will create a LPT2 port).

Oh!
Is that a complete set of instructions? Can I follow them to the letter?

Do I use the usb cable?
Where do I connect the cable?
Do I need to tell the printer anything?
Do I need to reboot the computer or re-boot the printer?
Do I select lpt1?
What after that? since I don't see the hl6050.

Last edited:
If you have installed the driver package, then:
  1. Open "Devices and Printers" in the Start menu (or whatever they call it now).
  2. click "Add a Printer" (where the menu bar should be).
  3. Take a look at the list of ports in the drop-down box. Maybe one has a name including Brother or HL6050 or something. Or look for one with USB in the name. Finally, pick LPT1 if nothing else looks interesting.
  4. Pick Brother in the list of manufacturers and hopefully the HL6050 is in the list of models. You could also choose "Have a disk" and point it to the directory where you extracted the downloaded drivers.
  5. If this didn't fail then try printing a test page.

I tried com1 as the first of the serial ports. did nothing
I tried usb002 as the only one that looked usb compatible. did nothing.
Not tried lpt1 yet.

the hl6050 is not on the list. That's why I downloaded the Brother drivers direct from Brother's site.

COMx are serial ports, definitely not one of those.
USB00x sounds right, my older "USB" printers show up as such.
The HL6050 should be in the printers list, after you have successfully installed the drivers. If it isn't, then you haven't, and that's a problem. But you can try the "have a disk" button which should install them at that time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.