Can anyone help me with this sound to light project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I play with a carnival drumming band and the dark nights are coming. We sometimes parade with battery powered fairy lights but I would like to take it up a notch.

The power supply would need to be small. 3 X AA cells would last all night and they are cheap light and disposable. I envisage a small mic or a piezo running into an op-amp which drives a big transistor or a relay. I would want to run quite a lot of lights from it but I guess I could wire in some LED strings in parallel.

I understand the concept of what I am doing but don't have enough knowledge to design a circuit.

Google "color organ." That should give you plenty of material. One of the articles is from Jameco, a parts house. They have a lot of basic projects for beginners.

A color organ is just a light controller that reacts to music. SOme have more than one frequency band, so one set of lights responds to base, another to mids and another to highs. But you can also just make one circuit that responds to the whole band.

If you are marching, you may find a better effect if yopu limit the frequencies it responds to. For example it blinks to the bass drum instead of trying to follow the flutes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.