How to tell the ingredients of wood oils

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading/looking for a nice finish for my flexy rack and finally decided to use oil.

The only one I could find on the local market was Teak oil. I got two cans that seemed "decent" on the outside :p

Unfortunately none of them specifies the ingredients, so I have been looking for ways to tell what to expect from them.

I have to say here that I am not particularly experienced in woodcrafitng and what I write below is completely from my observations. Feel free to correct or add to my rant.

The first indication I guess should be the smell.
Both of them had a very strong thinner smell, but the one had a distinct waxy scent as well.

While reading on inet, I came accross a page where the writter (sorry I do not remember the page) suggested to get a few drops on a non-porus surface like a glass and let it dry. After the thinner evaporates, the remainder should be either oil or wax or varnish. You can see below the results of my oils after 24 hours on the glass.

This one is sticky to the touch with no oily feel to it. And from its color, I get that it s probably just plain thinned varnish, with minimal or no oil at all. It s smell (almost gone now) is still quite bad. Not from the thinner and not oily or waxy at all.

300246d1347058560-dimmys-itteration-flexy-rack-dim_1092.jpg

The other one, (the one with the waxy scent) is not sticky at all. It has dried and left a rather elastic solid that feels like wax. Its smell (rather faint again) feels oily and waxy.

300247d1347058560-dimmys-itteration-flexy-rack-dim_1084.jpg

So I think I have found my winner on the second one...

I hope this helps someone else. Of course again, I am by any means a professional or even particularly knowledgeable about woodcrafting, so please feel free to correct me or leave your own tricks on how to tell which mixes are legit

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I will have to work with much thinner applications wiping them off fast
Indeed, not letting the oil sit on the surface of the wood for too long is key, rub off as soon as you've finished the application. Lots of coats is the key - as the old mantra goes: "Once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a month for a year". :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.