How to tell the ingredients of wood oils - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 11:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to tell the ingredients of wood oils

I have been reading/looking for a nice finish for my flexy rack and finally decided to use oil.

The only one I could find on the local market was Teak oil. I got two cans that seemed "decent" on the outside

Unfortunately none of them specifies the ingredients, so I have been looking for ways to tell what to expect from them.

I have to say here that I am not particularly experienced in woodcrafitng and what I write below is completely from my observations. Feel free to correct or add to my rant.

The first indication I guess should be the smell.
Both of them had a very strong thinner smell, but the one had a distinct waxy scent as well.

While reading on inet, I came accross a page where the writter (sorry I do not remember the page) suggested to get a few drops on a non-porus surface like a glass and let it dry. After the thinner evaporates, the remainder should be either oil or wax or varnish. You can see below the results of my oils after 24 hours on the glass.

This one is sticky to the touch with no oily feel to it. And from its color, I get that it s probably just plain thinned varnish, with minimal or no oil at all. It s smell (almost gone now) is still quite bad. Not from the thinner and not oily or waxy at all.

Click the image to open in full size.

The other one, (the one with the waxy scent) is not sticky at all. It has dried and left a rather elastic solid that feels like wax. Its smell (rather faint again) feels oily and waxy.

Click the image to open in full size.

So I think I have found my winner on the second one...

I hope this helps someone else. Of course again, I am by any means a professional or even particularly knowledgeable about woodcrafting, so please feel free to correct me or leave your own tricks on how to tell which mixes are legit
Old 8th September 2012, 04:11 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you list the brands and types that you tested it would indeed help other people so they would not have to make the same test.

Just a suggestion

Old 8th September 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

About the type, I mentioned that both are Teak oils. Now about the maker, the test is pretty simple so I didn t thought it would matter a lot.

The first one is Duro Stick Teak Oil (made in Greece) and the second is International Teak Oil (Made in UK)
Old 8th September 2012, 09:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Just a quick point, the formulation of the oil is likely comercially confident, so won't be published on the can. However you can use this to your advantage, as different brands may be suitable for different woods.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th September 2012, 09:37 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It may not be on the can, but you are entitled to a copy of the MSDS. It won't have complete formulation info, but the solvents and any hazardous ingredients will be disclosed. That will give you several clues.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Is that the same as our COSHH documentation SY?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th September 2012, 09:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I applied a layer of the second one by cloth and it dries too fast feeling sticky... It seems it is more waxy/varnishy than oilly...
I will have to work with much thinner applications wiping them off fast
Old 8th September 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Is that the same as our COSHH documentation SY?
Probably part of that program, but the document you want is still called an MSDS in UK and Europe. If it's not packed with a chemical, you can demand it from the manufacturer or the agent who sells the product.
Old 8th September 2012, 10:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
I will have to work with much thinner applications wiping them off fast
Indeed, not letting the oil sit on the surface of the wood for too long is key, rub off as soon as you've finished the application. Lots of coats is the key - as the old mantra goes: "Once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a month for a year".

Hide this!Advertise here!