PIC programmer circuit needed...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for a PIC programmer circuit schematic, just a simple one.

I searched on google and there are lots, but the one I made (JDM, which connects trhough the serial port) is not working.

Simple JDM PIC Programmer

After reading some articles on the internet I found that the problem was that the serial port of my computer has not enough output voltage to drive the PIC chip.

That seems to be a common issue on modern motherboards because they work with low voltage (PIC needs about 12V to enter the "program" mode).

Another problem is the Windows 7 compatibility...not all the software used for the programming process are compatible. And they have some issues when they try to access to the serial or LPT port (it's a common problem according to what I read).

So now I know I have to build another programmer but I'm not sure which one...

The chips I need to program are:
PIC 16F84a and
PIC 16F628

Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM
O.S.: Windows 7 SP1

I look for something simple as this is only an amateur project, nothing professional. And also I expect to use LPT or COM (serial) ports...not USB because it will be more complicated.

I don't mind if I have to use an external power supply

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Fede

I built this one (sercon2) years ago: programming circuits (sercon-e.htm)

It worked with a program called ProgPIC. Worked OK under WinXP for 16F84, but I can't remember if it did 16F84A. It uses the serial port, so may not suit you, but sercon1 uses external power.

I used it for years, then I bought a PicKit2 (USB) which uses the Microchip MPLAB software and then I lost the the serial port one (left it behind when I left a company). I recommend the PicKit, because it does in-system programming, good for SMT. It is very versatile and does many PICs.

There are many socketed programmers and PicKit clones available on ebay, so cheap some of them that it's not worth building one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.