Household Appliances repair forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi you all,
Allthough this tread has nothing to do with audio, I'm in such a dispair that I use any channel that can lead to a solution.
Some of you probably have connections with other technicians who are in the household apliances business. Those guys that repair friges, stoves, u-wave ovens and the like.
I'm not very experienced in the repair of these equipments but with a schematic or service manual I can manage to get them back in working order.
So if any of you can forward me a link to such a forum (as this one is on audio matters) I would be very happy.
As English is not my language and I live in Belgium, a forum in Europe is prefered.
Allthough problems are international and it dosn't matter were the solution comes from.
After a recent visit of a technician who tried to repair my 3 year old dishwasher, who spent 2 hours opening the unit and "checking" the wiring, he concluded that I had to buy a new one. He never looked at the service manual and according the way he was "trouble shooting" I concluded that it was better for him to go home. This guy still has much to learn.
At the end I found out a pump had to be replaced.
The problem came from a leaking gasket at the lightbulb socket.
A 35€ pump with clips, in Germany, delivered to my home.
Service manuals for these appliances seem hard to get if not impossible.
Hence my asking for your help.
Thanks,

Over here, the "service manual" if anything is just the schematic and part number listing and it is usually inside the unit or your owners packet. Appliances are so simple, any "real" technician does not need anything else. We have the same root problem here. "real" technicians. When I grew up, we fixed everything, or at least tried. Now kids learn to use video games and never develop the basic understanding of how things work. Sounds like you have the skills, so gust google the model number and the parts outlets should have the exploded diagrams.

Really sad a three year old DW needed repair. Really sad.

Like "tvrgeek" said - I have always found some kind of a wiring diagram or schematic pasted inside the unit. That generally gives me enough information to get started. If I look in the right general area there is enough physical evidence (cracked or broken pieces, burned wiring, a shaft wobbling on a failed bearing, etc) to identify the failed component(s). Brings back memories of my very first paid employment, as a High School student working in a 2-way radio repair shop. The owner was constantly telling the techs to "Mech First!". Meaning, do a thorough visual and tactile inspection BEFORE turning ON any test equipment. The trail of broken, missing, physically damaged, or charred parts usually showed you where the failure was without any real troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, those pasted-on diagrams tend to either disintegrate or become illegible over time and then you have to fall back on your wits and prior experience because the manufacturers don't seem to keep that information more than a few years after the model goes out of production. The problem seems to be compounded when one manufacturer gets bought by another - then consolidated into a holding company - then spun off as an independent brand - etc. The-company-that-now-owns-Moen-faucets gave me that kind of runaround not long ago - then refused to honor their "Lifetime Warranty" becuase I couldn't produce the original, dated, sales receipt for a 20-year old faucet. (But they COULD direct me to retailers in my area who carried their current products!)

Over the last 10 years or so, the internet really HAS made appliance repair easier. Like "tvrgeek" said, the make and model number will often uncover a lot of information - occasionally from the original manufacturer; more often from after-market suppliers of repair parts; or individuals who have posted their experiences, reverse-engineering efforts, etc.

As for the longevity of appliances, major appliances used to have a reputation for having functional lifetimes beyond their typical service lives. That is, they were more likely to be replaced because somebody wanted a different color, more modern styling, or new features, rather than because they had truly worn out. You can guess what happened when managers figured that out . . .

Some of the appliance stories collected by "Design News" magazine at < http://www.designnews.com/archives.asp?section_id=1367&dfpPParams=bid_240&dfpLayout=siteInfo >, or the "Made By Monkeys" site at < http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/engineering-design-problems/ >, are amusing - some are educational - and some are just sad.

Dale

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't expect to get some so fast.
Some indeed have a very summier block diagram inside.
But to give another example:
I have a second Kupersbush induction cookerplate.
This unit is full of electronics and after a first check the power electronics seems to be ok.
It has a problem with the controls.
A schematic is not to be found and the distributor nor the manufacturer is willing to give any information except of the price of a new board that can not be purchased by a non recognized repairman. The price? 650€...
Then another example; allthough is it worth the repair?
A philips senseo coffee maker.
Maybe yes, maybe no but I hate to "Trow everything away". if there is a chance to fix it.
So the modern units, full of electronics, fail from time to time and without a service manual you're at the merci of the so called "technicians" from the store where you bought the unit.
As a technician (audio) myself I find this very regretable and at least frustrating after the warranty period is over.
Where are these manuals?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.