Cable Directionality (Moved Threadjacking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion has been moved from another thread.........
"You implied that if cables aren't running "in the same direction", then some sort of frequency-dependant anomaly would occur. I, and many others, would disagree with that assertion. Are you saying that no-one is allowed to challenge your claims?"
Arniel,
I said this
"Your friends advice of running the same cable to the speakers and also inside the cabinets is one that works very nicely - adds a coherence (or removes an incoherence) that you cannot get otherwise.
Be sure to make all cable runs in the same direction though, or you will compromise this coherence."
and this
"I know I said it already, but make sure that all cable runs are in the same direction for good coherence across the whole audio band."

Simon understands the logic perfectly clearly here
"No-one is claiming frequency dependant artefacts, only that some audible difference may occur from wiring it up the wrong way round! What's the problem with that? I see it as insurance against yet another unnecessary imperfection in the chain. To me this is so logical, to the point of being barely worth talking about!"
Yes, as Simon says (sorry!), this is perfect insurance against preventing true stereo operation - you might need to think that one over.
I am not actually saying that there is any anomoly, but I am saying that this possible anomoly can be prevented, and perfectly easily.

I also said this perfectly clearly,
"To the smart-alecs, keep comments about cable directionality or otherwise in some other thread, and right out of this one thanks."

Eric.

So did I, but apparently certain people use cables that are made up of a string of diodes. I don't want to be the one to tell them that all cables are OFC these days, as it's easier to stretch than ordinary copper.

What's even more interesting is that someone claimed the connection going "to" the speaker is more important than the connection coming away from it. :whazzat: His room must be full of electrons with nowhere to go!!!

Thank g-d these people aren't designing the brakes on my car.

Reminds me of the time I went around to visit a relative who was having problems with her PC. She thought that placing crystals at strategic points might in some way prevent it from crashing!!!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What dont people get about the way that speakers are driven??? It is comical that these people even hang out on a board called Do It Yourself Audio. The title would imply that there is some small amount of knowledge required in order to do anything "yourself".

haha, the "return signal" LOL... f'ing LOL.

I guess we only care about the top half of any wave form where the "red" wire is positive.

JUST BECAUSE THE WIRE GOES INTO A TERMINAL THAT IS RED AND HAS + SIGNS ON THE WIRE DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS A POSITIVE VOLTAGE WIRE, NOR DOES IT MEAN THAT THE ELECTRONS ONLY FLOW TO THE SPEAKER.

As a matter of fact, whoever said that, it is so fundamentaly wrong that if the wire always was positive, the electrons actually flow back into the amplifier on the + wire. ELECTRONS ARE NEGATIVELY CHARGED. The + side of the battery does not have an excess of somthing, rather the - side has an excess of electrons. If you connect them to a light, the electrons flow from the - side of the battery, through the light and into the + side.

-Paul Hilgeman

Surely cable that works equally well regardless of direction of electron flow is what we all want for our AC signals.

I'd expect directional loudspeaker cable to be unsaleable, after all who'd want to buy it?

I've never experienced cables sounding any different when they are reversed and if I ever do I will just have to admit I have no idea why this should be.

Alternatively I might create a new branch of pseudo physics where electrons behave like jumping water (or something) that only I understand, that way no one can argue with me:xeye:

Damn...this is REAL fun!..

The + and the - on the terminals are just for 4 things:

- If you want to connect 2 speakers on series
- If you want to connect 2 speakers in parallel
- If you want to be sure that both speakers (left&right for example) have the same phase (actually this is the same as the above two)
- That it's easier to write a manual for...
1) moron-version: "connect the red wire at the first end of the cable to the red connector on your amplifier and the black wire at the same end of the cable to the black connector on you amplfier, the other end of the red wire to the red connector on your speaker, and the last open wire to the black connector on your speaker"

2) hard version, the audio-version of the any-key: problem: "connect the two wires at the same end of the cable to you amplifier's connectors and the other sides of the wire to the connectors on you speaker" ... most people don't know what to do then! Shall I connect the red to the black, or both black and red to the black connector?

Geee...this is FUN!
I CAN think of a reason why an interlink should have a "direction": if you don't connect one groundwire of one RCA-connector to avoid ground-loops, then it may be interesting....

Else: do you think there's a little sign in the cable that says "go back"...and electrons will read it ?? :xeye:

Grtz, Joris

Vigier said:
Damn...this is REAL fun!..

The + and the - on the terminals are just for 4 things:

- If you want to connect 2 speakers on series
- If you want to connect 2 speakers in parallel
- If you want to be sure that both speakers (left&right for example) have the same phase (actually this is the same as the above two)

And the even funnier thing about this is speakers may not necessarily have the same polarity anyway! Don't believe me? Take a fridge magnet near several speaker magnets. I bet you at least one will attract instead of repel (or vice versa). :cannotbe:

Tim

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I bet you at least one will attract instead of repel (or vice versa).

If this is the case - I have a hard time believing so - , wouldn't this be a QC error?

There are directional cables on the market and someone is buying a pair as we speak!

Other than cable geometry, which is a deliberate design choice, it's the wire that's directive.

This is due to crystal annealing and the effect can be lessened by cryo treatment.

Cheers,;)

Time to pour some gasoline on the fire.......

How 'bout this one:

Digital cables are directional.

Only thing I can come up with is there are minute differences in rho (reflection coefficient) that don't mean diddle on my TDR, but can slightly affect dispersion, and that sort of crap, which can, in turn, affect the recovered clock signal.

Do I worry about that?

NO! I let the customers worry themselves. Some did. And some guys still wonder why I gave up doing this for a living.

Jocko

I don't doubt that there are conductors/cables that perform better in one particular direction, this is not the issue. What I don't understand is why this is considered a good thing as far as AC signals are concerned.:confused: Someone please explain (preferably using conventional science rather than the home-made kind)

fdegrove said:
If this is the case - I have a hard time believing so - , wouldn't this be a QC error?

You'd think so. Hopefully you'll have to try across different manufacturers, but I have several speakers here which indicate opposite poles.

Other than cable geometry, which is a deliberate design choice, it's the wire that's directive.

This is due to crystal annealing and the effect can be lessened by cryo treatment.

Interesting, do you have proof of this? :whazzat:

Tim

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

How do the unannealed crystals cause asymmetric electrical conduction?

Pardon me?

Interesting, do you have proof of this?

Me? No.
Other than thousands of others actually having listened to the artefact, no I don't have proof of it...Well nothing you'd accept as scientific anyway.

Note that this is not unknown to cable manufacturers who attribute the phenomon to lattice boundary effects, crystal orientation according to the way the conductor was drawn through the die.

Trying stuff out doesn't break the bank in this case...I know I wasn't relying on someone else's opinion when I tried it, neither should you resistors...:angel:

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Pardon me?

Well for a length of wire to be directional, it would have to have some sort of asymmetry in its conduction, yes? If it were symmetrical, it wouldn't be directional.

Me? No.
Other than thousands of others actually having listened to the artefact, no I don't have proof of it...Well nothing you'd accept as scientific anyway.

Note that this is not unknown to cable manufacturers who attribute the phenomon to lattice boundary effects, crystal orientation according to the way the conductor was drawn through the die.

Which could be nothing but marketing.

Is it also not unknown in the fields of metallurgy or materials science?

Trying stuff out doesn't break the bank in this case...I know I wasn't relying on someone else's opinion when I tried it, neither should you resistors...:angel:

Resistors?

It's not an issue of trying something to see what one perceives. Again, photographs in your freezer are purported to affect your audio system.

You didn't simply say people have perceived differences with regard to wire direction. You specifically attributed it to a physical phenomenon which you referred to as crystal annealing.

My question was (and still is) how do unannealed crystals cause asymmetrical electrical conduction?

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Resistors?

Yes, resisting to try instead of talking about it. After all it's nothing new.

Not that I care much about it though...

My question was (and still is) how do unannealed crystals cause asymmetrical electrical conduction?

Your bad luck, I do have a very good memory so I do remember discussing this before here.

I told you then that I don't have the answer for that but I know for a fact that the effect is real, not imagined.

Maybe you could develop a diff amp that shows it??:smash:

Cheers,;)

Status
Not open for further replies.