Cable Directionality (Moved Threadjacking) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2003, 12:40 AM   #21
phonon is offline phonon  United States
diyAudio Member

If you beleive that wire has audibly significant directionality/asymmetry, then why would you want to align the wires in a loop -- such as that from amplifier to speaker and back -- in the same direction relative to the current, as proponents of directionality seem to promote? This would make the asymmetric distortion of the wire double that of one-half the length. If the wire was reversed in direction half-way through, the asymmetry in each direction would cancel, so the wire would have symmetric response.
Either directional cables are bad design -- since they could be made to not asymetrically distort by reversing half, or asymmetrical distortion is desired for audio, in which case you should improve your system by adding more in, or wire directionality is bunk.

Old 23rd October 2003, 12:41 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Yes, resisting to try instead of talking about it.
What relevance has my trying anything to do with specific claims made as to physical causes?

Quote:
Your bad luck, I do have a very good memory so I do remember discussing this before here.

I told you then that I don't have the answer for that but I know for a fact that the effect is real, not imagined.
You don't have the answer?

This is due to crystal annealing and the effect can be lessened by cryo treatment.

That doesn't sound like "I don't have the answer" to me.

Are you trying to mislead people with these claims or what?

se

Old 23rd October 2003, 12:55 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

It is the usual story. Those who claim cable directionalty and
other obscure things seems not able to distinguish between
the effect and the reason.

Just because one refutes their explanation doesn't mean
one necessarily rejects the possibility that the effect might
still be there. However, this seems to be difficult to understand
for some. Perhaps cables are directional, but current models
are not sufficient to explain it, or certain parametes are
overlooked. Not that I think cables are directional (for AC
that is) but I won't go as far as to claim they couldn't be.

Old 23rd October 2003, 12:57 AM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If this is the case - I have a hard time believing so - , wouldn't this be a QC error?
Depends on which way the coil is wound, eh? Or in the case of refrigerator magnets (which normally consist of a stack of two or more magnets to knock down the field, so they're not a true N-S simple dipole), the way in which the back of the speaker was approached. I suspect the latter.

Regarding crystals, directivity, and AC signals, having spent my share of time in wire factories and playing around with my home system, I'm also mystified about what you're saying. I must indeed be the village idiot.

Old 23rd October 2003, 01:05 AM   #25
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
That doesn't sound like "I don't have the answer" to me.
It just doesn't constitute any scientific proof to me...if it looks like an acceptable explanation to you then fine, to me it doesn't.

Quote:
Are you trying to mislead people with these claims or what?
Why not do the homework for a change ISO being a lazy bumm?

I did suggest trial and error analysis before, or did I?

Cheers,

Old 23rd October 2003, 01:11 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It just doesn't constitute any scientific proof to me...if it looks like an acceptable explanation to you then fine, to me it doesn't.
Then why did you make the claim? Again, are you just trying to mislead people?

Quote:
Why not do the homework for a change ISO being a lazy bumm?
Because I'm not the one who made the claim. Since you're the one who made the claim, the homework is yours, not mine.

Quote:
I did suggest trial and error analysis before, or did I?
And how does my listening to cables in different directions tell me or anyone else whether or not the phenomenon is due to crystal annealing as you claimed?

se

Old 23rd October 2003, 01:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Regarding crystals, directivity, and AC signals, having spent my share of time in wire factories and playing around with my home system, I'm also mystified about what you're saying. I must indeed be the village idiot.
Maybe I'm the VI for knowing things you guys don't then?

Give it a rest folks, you're really starting to look silly.

Quote:
Again, are you just trying to mislead people?
In what way? For asking them to try it out?

Nice try,

Old 23rd October 2003, 01:28 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Give it a rest folks, you're really start to look silly.
Silly? We're not the ones giving people answers and then in the next post saying we don't have the answer.

Quote:
In what way? For asking them to try it out?
For telling them that the cause is due to crystal annealing.

se

Old 23rd October 2003, 01:29 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default there Is An Expert Born Every Minute..................

To all you arm-chair experts who insist that music is AC and that cables cannot be directional, try, just try reversing the direction of one of your interconnects or speaker wires.

In my experience this causes an image sideways shift that cannot be cured with the balance control.
So to my logic this shows that there is some kind of dynamic directional characteristic, but I doubt that it will show up in sinewave testing.

I have also made non-directional interconnects in the past, and this gave the best depth imaging that I have ever heard.

The exact mechanism for directional characteristic is not clear to me but I suspect phonon behaviour to be the culprit, and asymetrical crystal boundaries would influence in this case.

Jocko, thanks for mentioning directional digital cables - I was getting around to that.

Eric.

Old 23rd October 2003, 01:35 AM   #30
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
For telling them that the cause is due to crystal annealing.
And it is...but what do you care?

Happy listening to CUO2, right?

Mr. Eddy you're baiting or at least trying to. It makes you look small to me and no doubt a dozen other members.

Cheers,

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!