dual purpose amp and speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wanting to build a cheap portable battery powered boombox for an mp3 player that can also be used as a guitar amp. I'm looking for a good compromise for the speakers that will handle both functions reasonbly well.

The idea is to have a fairly loud amp that runs off 12v SLA battery for use outdoors with a jack for guitar that runs through a preamp/distortion/tone circuit. Cheap, rugged, good battery life and decent volume with a weight <15kg.

Any ideas?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
For a single 12V SLA powered amp you might be best looking at a "bridge mode" design to maximise output voltage swing into the load.

It's not really my thing but perhaps investigate some of the "car audio" type power amps. I'm not sure whether any Class D amps are bridgeable and that run on that voltage but that could be worth looking into too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.