Sound damping for tennis backboard - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2012, 09:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

How about this. Construct your wall with 2x4' studs, your plywood on the inside. You don't need 3/4" plywood, 5/8" is plenty strong enough. You will need to paint the plywood with a good quality paint to prevent warpage. And put a piece of galvanized steel roofing apex over the top to keep rain out. Now on the outside use at least 1/2" drywall. Drywall is an excellent sound deadener. 5/8" would be much better, that's what is used in hospitals and other buildings where sound isolation is important. You will have to waterproof the drywall and that's where your main problem will be. Just wrapping it with plastic wrap won't last long in the sun so you'd have to come up with something else for that. But the drywall would be cheaper than concrete and more effective at reducing sound. Two layers of 1/2" might be best, easier to handle and thicker than 5/8". Maybe a couple of coats of enamel paint would work to seal it. Seal the edges with 100% silicone caulking. Yeah.
Old 13th August 2012, 01:47 AM   #12
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Sharpy, Thanks for the input.
I like the idea behind drywall but I can see some problems here. One is that you are in Florida and I am in Vancouver.
Even Aqua-Board would be out of the question. We already have the 2X6 red cedar for the frame and a special kind of reusable plywood used for forming. Instead of the party wall we have decided to assemble a standard stick frame wall, 12" OC and multiple purlin battens to reduce the panel size and try it out. Yes, we will be using a bit of peel and stick roofing (or EPDM) over the top and capping with sheet metal. Everything will be cut, drilled, countersunk and painted before assembly with EG screws and sub-floor glue. I'm not new at this sort of thing so I won't be doing them any favours with the bottom line, I have a penchant for making things last.
We have but one (or maybe two?) chances to get this right so...

Anyways cheers, if I were in your neck of the woods...
Old 13th August 2012, 02:21 AM   #13
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Geez, drywall outside in the rain capital of the northwest? Nah.

I still like my c-ment board... it will give better rebound than ur plywood... but it ain't my backboard...

remember I toll youze that youze wantz to lean that thang backwards a bit...

_-_- bear
Old 13th August 2012, 02:37 AM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I see the second part about Bear's suggestion of the cement board was left out of that last post. If the sound level with the original install is not up to snuff, it will be added with screws and Green Glue. There's nothing like an 8 X 8 board the weighs enough to sink a ship that's gonna bother me.

Cheers.
Old 20th August 2013, 01:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Backboard (Practice Wall) angle

Quote:
[It]should be angled slightly up - you have to test for the best angle, otherwise most hits will go down and short. A few degrees...
Tilt the board back 15 degrees from vertical. That angle will produce a much more natural arc on the ball's return.

Hide this!Advertise here!