wierd thing when updating LTSpice... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default wierd thing when updating LTSpice...

Hi. Not sure where to post this, tried with Linear, but they'd never heard of this...

When I update LTSpice, many of my saved schematics disappear. Even when using software that supposedly 'sees' all files, even hidden ones, the schems are just gone.

The first time this happened the schems suddenly came back after a few weeks, but this time they seem to really be gone (it's been a few months now).

Any one else have this strange (but very irritating) problem? Could it be something to do with Window7 and all the extra security BS in that OS?

Any tips on how to get back those hours of designing would be appreciated.

Thnx.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Have you seen this,
Help !! LTspice and W7 x64 Professional won't run.

I had problems with W7 (x64 pro) and LTspice.

Have you looked in C:\program files under LTC to see if any are there.

Also so a search for .asc files.

I must try updating my copy of LTspice... can't remember if I have done so yet as mine is a new PC.
Old 6th August 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Yes win7 does weird things with LTspice. Have a look under users\yourname\appdata\roaming\ You may find them in a subdir under there.

Basically you can't write to the program files directory unless you run as administrator under win7, and by default ltspice puts things under the program files directory. when you save there, it actually saves it under the roaming directory but somehow still knows where it is supposed to be. It's very confusing!!

The best thing to do is save all of your spice files somewhere other than the default directory!! Somewhere that is not under program files.

Tony.
Old 6th August 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks a lot. I suddenly recalled the name of one of the files and did a search. I found them under:

'lusers\myname\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramF iles(x86)\LTC\LTspiceIV'

whew!!!

So the moral of the story is to start saving my schems somewhere else, perhaps in mydocuments...
Old 6th August 2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
So the moral of the story is to start saving my schems somewhere else, perhaps in mydocuments...
Yes, but........ I do this and find when I click a .asc file directly, although it opens LTspice via UAC (user account control) I then get this error as in pic. If I then close the folder the file was in, the file is opened correctly in LTspice.

If I open LTspice via its shortcut and browse for the file via LTspice then there is no problem.

It's all very odd and seems PC specific too. I use Acronis so it was no trouble to image the HDD and play when I was setting stuff up. The default W7 install gives these errors. Clean install W7 and LTspice and it doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (39.1 KB, 18 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!