Need help with projection for a photog project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2012, 03:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with projection for a photog project

I need to project something opaque into a water droplet; reflecting won't work. I am trying to figure out how to project a reduced image onto a teardrop. I am close, but my throw distance needs to be a little greater. I am trying to do it on the cheap and have a magnifying glass, various photography lights and lenses, shoe boxes, etc.

Not sure what information to include. :/ Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can't project an image onto a teardrop. That is, you can project it, but whatever you are projecting will pass through it, apart from what reflects from the surface, and what is reflected from the surface is what you would see if you looked into the projector lens.

You could project an image into a semi-opaque liquid such as milk or water with milk added, but it will not form a sharp image because there is no plane of focus.

The best you could hope for would be to project an image on a flat surface and view the reflection of that from the surface of the drop, probably by viewing the drop against a dark background. Or you could view the reduced and distorted image (of the projected image) which would result from using the drop as a lens in which to view the image.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you!

Thanks for replying! An image projected on skin underneath the teardrop would suffice. I think I may have to work on reflection a bit more. I got a reflection in some glycerin, but it took such a large amount of glycerin that it looked like someone had spit on my model's face instead of looking like she was crying.
Old 6th August 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you want to photograph the image, then the only way is by catching the reflection of the image in the teardrop. Not gonna be easy but do-able. Easyist way is have image on a monitor, quite bright then position everything so the screen image is reflected in the tear drop. Having a neutral colour or grey background you can screen the monitor with helps or you'll pick up the frame Then spend hours trying to get it right. I like to photograph reflections in reain drips windows eyes etc, its fun and rewarding when you get the image. herse a close up shot of one of the kids eyes with the conservatory etc reflected, it was bright sunshine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye2.jpg (171.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 8th August 2012, 02:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, marce. Love the reflection in the eye. I have been able to get my image reflected in the eye, but simultaneously in the eye and in a teardrop has been elusive so far. I am working on an art series, and this one will be #3 in the series, and all are reflective in nature. Guess I will keep trying! My models are 3 and 6 so it may take forever. haha
Old 8th August 2012, 12:40 PM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good look, I've been doing a similar project for my own fun, shooting reflections in different aterials and situations. My modles range from 4 up to 25, and they are not the most co-operative.
If I think of anything I'll report back.

Hide this!Advertise here!