"A word from ME" - A Sad Demise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With regret I found this page on the net today, and A word from ME tells all.

I have heard and seen inside Peter Stein's ME amplifiers in the past, and have always regarded them as having exceptional build and sonic quality.
Sadly he is closing doors (Wife Trouble) for a while, but hopefully he can get back up.

Eric.

Attachments

• middle_amp850.jpeg
    middle_amp850.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 359
Eric,

I agree with you. This is a legend in Australian hifi from a man committed both to engineering innovation and excellence in all its aspects. The products are beautifully made, incredibly robust, and to my knowledge amongst the only amps in their category which will happily drive electrostatic speakers. It's sobering to think that divorce laws can destroy businesses so effectively; one cannot but wonder what is behind that situation.

Peter, good luck through all this, and don't forget the dream......

Cheers,

Hugh

Peter, good luck through all this, and don't forget the dream......

Hi Hugh,
Some of my experience of ME gear is Peter's big Class A amplifier (ME-1500 I think, maybe ME-850) driving Duntech Sovereigns.
Source was my CDP with 3-dimensional P-P wired DAC and output/filter stage.
On a few tracks including "Who Are You" and "The Wall" this was the biggest sound I have ever heard , period.***
Left/right and depth imaging, clarity, finesse and just sheer sense of power and authority and 'rightness' really were outstandingly good.

I heard a story about one guy who put a sig gen into this model amp, and TIG welded a couple of sheets of steel together and then sent them to Peter as testimony to the ruggedness of the amp.
I also heard that Peter was not impressed that someone should do such a thing. :D

Maybe now that Peter has excess time we should invite him onto this forum ???.
I have had a few long yarns with Peter in the past, and he is a very knowledgable guy, and happy to help and advise - a perfect gentleman.

Eric.

***- Ok, I spent a day setting up a Genesis 1 system and this was bigger sounding, and then again they are in a different class altogether.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.