physical CD tweaks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I remember my father saying something in regards to using a green marker on the cd edges to prevent laser escaping and I just did it and it does help.

Actually the cd I tried it on was an overburned 'data' disc (712MB burned on 80min cd), it was a bit hard to read on one of my dvd drives then I did the little trick and boom, it works like a charm. So I was like hmm maybe there are other little tricks of this sort and I came across this webpage:

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Cd tweaks.html

Thought this would be interesting to post.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Actually the cd I tried it on was an overburned 'data' disc (712MB burned on 80min cd), it was a bit hard to read on one of my dvd drives then I did the little trick and boom, it works like a charm.

Yup.
That works on any CD and has done so for the past fifteen years or so.Black marker is better still.

Haven't looked at that weblink yet, though.

Cheers, ;)

There was a similar thread before http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19790&highlight=

I tried most of the tricks and although they worked, they were not really convenient. And imagine that after attaching Monster Cable dampers and painting the edges green, not to mention sanding them and painting the insides, 200 of your best and treated CDs gets stolen. So these days I use Marigo mat and Blue LED only.
Y B Blue anybody? ;)

Attachments

• mar.jpg
    mar.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 232
Re: Recycling Hard Drives

SY said:
A few years ago, when I was designing a game controller, one of my engineers and I put together a level that was a faithful rendition of our company's building. Extra monsters in the President's office, of course.

I attempted to make my highschool into a Doom level. I didn't get too far since once I finally got a good level editor, became familiar with the process, and was able to create several rooms and a stairway, I decided the learning process was what I was really after and creating all those square rooms was just too tedious. Can't wait to get my new PC so I can get started on Enter the Matrix and Half-Life 2 (when it comes out)....

mrfeedback said:
The discs out of a dead 3 1/2" hard drive make good discs to place on top of the CD before closing the draw.
These are quite heavy and act as a flywheel.
I find this improves audio quality.

:up: Reducing jitter at the source. How do you center the platter on the CD and keep it centered? Some of the pricey Sony ES CD players used to come with a similar mass, though AFAIR it was just a 1"D x .38" turned aluminum rod.

Mark

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The PD-S501 and other Pioneer come with a real turntable platter.
The disk has to be placed upside down and the platter is holding the whole disk like an analogue turntable.
Another advantage is that the lens is mounted upside down.
This protects rather well against dust.
A disadvantage is the lens falling out of the lens holder in time.
But then again that's good for us, serviceman. ;)

/Hugo

Frank, A Flywheel IS Additional Mass...............

"Reducing jitter at the source. How do you center the platter on the CD and keep it centered? "
I just carefully center the disc before closing the drawer.
That rubbery goop that is used to fix CD's etc to magazine covers would be useful to keep it there, though in practice a I have not had trouble with the disc shifting.
A thin layer of silicone on the disc or around the perimeter would do the same job.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.