3.5mm jack replacement problems, help? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2012, 12:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 3.5mm jack replacement problems, help?

Hi I'm new here,

My 3.5mm jack broke off on my ATH-M50 headphones, I decided to try fix it myself.

I got a pack of connectors and a soldering iron and some solder.

The cable for my phones has 3 wires, black, green, red.
However the jack pack I got has 4 points There's the ground in the back, then one to the right, one to the left - but in addition a similar one in the front that I didn't expect from watching DIY videos.

I don't know much about this nor electronics.

But I put the red wire on the short one to the right, and the green one on the longer left one. I ignored the one in the front, and put the black wire in the back as I've seen on how-to's.

Now I tested and the soldering is alright, I got clean nice sound. But it is MONO. I only get left on both sides.

I also tried joining together my wires with an existing 3.5 jack on another wire. It also had 3 wires but the coloring was different.(Red, Blue, White) so I put Red/Red, Blue/Green and White/Black. The connection was stable and in stereo, however reversed sides and the right side had a lower signal.

Can someone with better knowledge help me out with this and which is the better solution? I don't know what to do with 3 wires and it looks like the connector is supposed to have 4.

Thanks a lot for any help...
Old 18th July 2012, 12:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

you sure the 3.5mm you purchased is stereo? Does it have 2 black lines...or 3?
Old 18th July 2012, 12:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

^ Yes it has 3 "rings"
Old 18th July 2012, 02:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's ok u can lock this up..

I didn't figure out the "4 point" jack connector with 3 wires, but I figured out to merge the wire with another one that had an existing 3.5mm

For some reason, Red went on Green, Blue went on Red, and White went on Black. Now all is good, full stereo and great sound. Cheers DIYaudio
Old 19th July 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW..... I also had to replace a 3.5 mm jack recently. I find my magnifier with aligator clips to be inespensible.
Everyone should have one like it.

Newegg.com - Helping Hands with Magnifying Glass
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:17 PM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's plugs made for iPods and camcorders that have video out as well as audio, component video on media players, or extra channels on certain sound cards; maybe that's what you have. Naturally, there is no standard, and they even come in more than one length. Sometimes common is on a ring, not the "base" of the plug.

The helping hands are essential. I put a bead of silicone on the base to stop it sliding on a bench top when I'm dealing with heavy cables. Powerful reading glasses are useful if you're over 40. Massively powerful cataract glasses (from a thrift store) are good for looking at surface mount stuff, but it might be more sensible to invest in a jeweler's clip on magnifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!