Laptop Speaker wiring help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Laptop Speaker wiring help

Hi Guys,
I'm new to these forums and am a real noob.
I am making an Altoids tin speaker system and pulled some speakers out of an old Dell laptop.
The speakers are rated 4 ohm and 2 watt.
They have 4 cables- 1 red,2 black and one white.
Can someone help me in wiring these to a 3.5 mm jack and power supply.
Also is some kind of amp required for them.
I will post a picture if required.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Welcome, boy !!!

Has these speaker amplifier, say, some kind of board or are only the speakers itself? This is to justify if there are 4 wires (2 by speaker), or are two power + 2 signal ones.
Old 13th July 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No. They look to be just speakers with the black and white wire going to one speakers and red and black connected to one speaker. There is no board visible.
Old 13th July 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah, OK, then you will need a small power amp. TDA 2822 is easy to wire, since it has a stereo amp in a dil 4 package. Or two LM386 can work.

Here is a simple circuit:
Google Image Result for http://www.e-dan.co.uk/electronics/TDA2822.GIF
Old 13th July 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ah thank you. Do you know which wires go to the 3.5 mm jack. I will build the circuit if I have the time. Is there any way to use a product on the market to drive the speakers.
I thank you for your quick response.
Old 13th July 2012, 03:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The pin outer is one channel, the middle ring, the other, and the nearest to the solder pin is the common ground.
Old 14th July 2012, 08:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank You
Old 15th July 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

There's T-amp boards at eBay for under $10 shipped. Search for TA2024. It's too big to fit in an Altoids tin, and has too much power, unless you use some restraint with the volume knob. Highly recommended if you are building a larger portable system.

A search for "amplifier board" turned up a bunch of 3W stereo amps for under $5 on eBay. Probably all using the PAM8403 chip which can run from 5V (so you can power it from USB). Some include a volume control, and they're tiny enough to fit in an Altoids tin. Datasheet here: http://www.poweranalog.com/pdf/PAM8403.pdf That's at least 10 times as much power output as an LM386.

Stereo amps can sometimes be stripped from abandoned CRT TVs. It's usually a big chip with pins along one edge and a heat sink on the other, near where the speaker wires plug in. With some luck you can find both the chip datasheet and the TV schematic online, like I did with a Sony TV.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dangus
I was wondering if this would work=
Mini Amplifier Board 10W+10W Class D Stereo Audio Amplifier DC 12V 20mA D-level | eBay
Old 16th July 2012, 08:43 AM   #10
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

On the face of it, it should work. But I'm skeptical as to how it can possibly achieve that power into 8 ohms. See the discussion here: Tiny PAM8610 10W+10W board problems Maybe an amp based on the Y148 chip is better; I found one on eBay for about $14, but you can get them from Dealextreme for under $10 including shipping. I ordered one for myself just now. It is physically larger, though, so may not fit in your Altoids tin.
Y148 AMP MODULE
Y148 Audio Amplifier Module - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

You could give the first amp you mentioned a try; it'll run from 5V, is very small, and won't overpower your speakers. A Y148, TA2020, TA2024 amp would need 12V and a larger case, but could deliver room-filling sound with the right speakers. 10 watts RMS or so is the same as "high power" car head units actually deliver, and that's enough power for bass you can feel (in a very small room like the inside of a car, anyway).

If you're salvaging from a dead laptop, there may be a suitable amp chip on the board already. Figure out where the speaker leads and traces end up.

Hide this!Advertise here!