Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
ferdna is offline ferdna  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help with 5 Disc CD Changer.

I replaced caps on this 5 Disc CD Changer and now it won't play CD's. Do you guys have an idea why is not working?

Original Caps:
220uf 25v Diameter: 8.20mm Length: 11.50mm
220uf 50v Diameter: 10.05mm Length: 13.08mm
470uf 10v Diameter: 8.10mm Length:12.09mm
2200uf 16v Diameter: 12.72mm Length: 17.50mm

New Caps:
220uf 25v
220uf 50v
470uf 10v
2200uf 16v

See Attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5discCAPAORIGINALS.jpg (363.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 5discREPLACAPS.jpg (783.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 5th July 2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Something you did during service. Happens to anyone.

Perhaps:

YOu made a wiring mistake, like a cap in backwards.
You got caps in wrong spots.
You had a wire break off somewhere while moving the boards.
You broke the solder on some other component while working near it by flexing it.
You made a bad solder connection on a cap.
You damaged a printed circuit trace while removing the old part.
You static-ed the laser pickup.
You overlooked some connector.
You mechanically damaged something in the transport, like one of the limit switches.

I once had a client come to me with a circuit board in a unit upon which he had done a "cap kit." He bought a kit of parts for it, and replaced most of the electrolytics. It now blew fuses, whereas before it just worked poorly. I took the board up to find that he installed all the caps right, but on one, he forgot to trim off the excess component lead wire, so these two pieces of wire sticking down were grounding to chassis, shorting out the power supply. SNip, snip, new fuse, and he was good to go.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why did you replace the caps? Was there a problem?
Old 5th July 2012, 04:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Enzo, yeah I verified that my caps leads are not shorting. I cut the leads as close i could to the motherboard. the blobs of solder are not that big to make contact.

Frank Berry, I replaced the caps because the player will play 3-5 songs and then music will start to skip(like an overheating problem). since this was a really old (10+ years) cd changer I thought of replacing the caps. I removed original caps and yeah they were leaking you can see in the pics.

I would like to replace that transistor attached to the heatsink as well.

Last edited by ferdna; 5th July 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 5th July 2012, 04:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

good and bad caps. different sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5discCAPSGOODBAD.jpg (412.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 5th July 2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If your CD player skips, I tend to think it isn't from heating up. If the lens is clean, then usually skipping is caused by a dirty mechanism. At least in my experience.

The lazer slides along a metal rod or a plastic track or something. Clean than and relube with super light grease. Also, many pickups have gear wheels to allow the motor to slide the thing along. A little bit of grit in the teeth can hang it up, even a few cat hairs in the gears can do it. And if you find that say the lower number tracks tend to play OK, but the higher number ones skip, or the other way arouned, that points to a certain area of transport travel having the sticky spots.

Hide this!Advertise here!