Retro fit; in-wall speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Retro fit; in-wall speakers

Seeking recommendations for exterior in-wall speakers. Due to the need for a continuous, sealed vapor barrier, these units would need to be designed with an enclosure that could be installed during the framing stage of the home (2x6 exterior walls). Or...is there a retro fit type of assembly.

Proper speaker design important considering sound quality with this type of application.

Thanks for letting me know if you've come across a nice sounding product.

Ceiling mounts are not desired.
Old 9th July 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Rise of In-Wall Loudspeakers - Audiophile Review
If you need a build with adequate drivers (or pp-cones/enviro-protected) go to main forum.
Multi-Way - diyAudio
This is also nice tech for the woofers in wall.
http://velodyne.com/subwoofers/built...s/in-wall.html

Last edited by Inductor; 9th July 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Inductor,
Thanks for your response, I'll check out the links.
Kindest,
Marko
Old 10th July 2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Do they really need to mount in the wall? As opposed to bracket mount up under the eaves or sitting in the bushes? One assumes this is for background music or listening to sports?

They make outdoor speakers that look like big rocks. Do a search at Parts Express for Outdoor Speakers and see a bunch of them. There are some in granite ($$$) and others in resin, plus plain old garden enclosures, all under garden speakers. Patio speakers hang from brackets on the wall. And there is a large selection of them too. All these products are made for outdoor use.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Enzo,
Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in finding interior "in wall" applications. My comment about "exterior" meant that these speakers may be placed on the exterior wall of the home, not outside. I sure could have chosen better words that would have made this much clearer. Do appreciate your comments!
Kindest,
Marko
Old 11th July 2012, 12:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Oh... that's very different. Well, um, you could put a couple of those "rock" speakers in the room and...

OK, what you are looking for are "architectural speakers". Google that. Many hits.

Also, visit Parts Express and search "in-wall speakers." They have a selection.

Thgose two search terms ought to cover you.

I suspect someone has an installation guide that would be informative.

I recall when I first saw subwoofers that way. The thing mounts under the floor between joists, and the sound comes out a common vent like in any HVAC system. Looks like the furnace outlet, but it is really the speaker. Look up in-floor subwoofer if you are interested.
Old 11th July 2012, 12:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Enzo I'll check this stuff out. How about that heat last week, Midwest should'nt get that hot.. woowww.
Old 11th July 2012, 02:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

yeah, that and the wind storm that took power away for many of us, just when we needed fans of A/C. The wife and I spent a couple days at a motel until the power company restored service.

Hide this!Advertise here!