What electronic component smells like body odour? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2012, 11:51 AM   #1
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default What electronic component smells like body odour?

I got this piece of old equipment that needed just a bit of repairing. It works fine now, however it emits a smell that is like body odor or underwear after a 3-day army outfield training. I've replaced suspicious capacitors with new ones. The smell feels like it might be coming from the transformer.

The amount of smell is not a lot, only noticeable if the lid is off, and if the lid was on, the smell clears quickly when it is powered down and the lid removed.
Old 1st July 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

All body odors are not the same. It depends a lot on what foods you eat and also on state of mind and physical health. You probably mean just stale odor of sweat belonging to one of a certain category like I mentioned above. That's a HUGE range !

Could have just said it smells unpleasant !

maybe just old waxy stuff getting hot in transformers.
Old 1st July 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

If it smells like old shoes, it's probably the E-lytics: the mix of old rubber and chemicals permeating through the gasket is pretty unpleasant.
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

And it is entirely possible the odor is clinging to surfaces inside, but was a result of the environment the unit used to live in. Servicing pro audio gear, I can tell right away when equipment is used in night clubs - the cigarette smoke aroma gives it away.
Old 5th July 2012, 04:48 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Some phenolic PCB give off fairly obnoxious odors when warm.. Wondering if this is the case here, generally not noticeable from more than 30cm away, but it never seems to go away entirely either.
Old 5th July 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Come to think of it, a lot of my Xcelite screwdriver and nut driver handles have a sort of sour "baby vomit" sort of smell from the plastic handles. NO, not from me, they smelled that way when new. Some of them are 40-50 years old, and still stink.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
.... Xcelite ...
The name is sufficient to spill the beans: it is a cellulose compound (cellulose acetate butyrate, the main culprit being the butyrate)
Old 5th July 2012, 08:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Cool. Thanks. I didn't know that.
Old 5th July 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Come to think of it, a lot of my Xcelite screwdriver and nut driver handles have a sort of sour "baby vomit" sort of smell from the plastic handles. NO, not from me, they smelled that way when new. Some of them are 40-50 years old, and still stink.
Are they are translucent yellow? I have some passed down screwdrivers that also smell like this. My dad won't believe me, so it's good to know it affects somebody else too. If I keep them in a plastic drawer it builds up the smell.
Old 5th July 2012, 09:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I believe all Picquic screwdrivers smell like *** when freshly removed from their packaging.

Hide this!Advertise here!