Selling Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Simply put- I have no income, I'm in high school. That is a problem for me as I like to build better and better speakers and have no steady way to pay for everything.

Because of that I am trying to sell some of my creations to fund the future ones. The main problem with this is reaching buyers. I know that the quality is high, but others don't and to convince them they really have to hear it. Pictures are nice online but persuading non-audio guys that a Fostex BLH is better than that $1500 Bose system is much easier in person.

My mother suggested bringing them to a Art Festival type of deal. I live in a pretty nice part of California so I think if I could market to the crowd who both likes art and is able to pay for it than I would have more luck than my high school friends.

My reservation is that the buy in cost for a booth can be $100-250. Which would be fine if I got a few sales out of it but if not thats a significant part of my budget that's gone...

Has anyone had any experience with that kind of thing? If not Art Festivals/Fairs then have you had luck selling audio equipment elsewhere?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Has anyone had any experience with that kind of thing? If not Art Festivals/Fairs then have you had luck selling audio equipment elsewhere?

Many moons ago I found myself in your situation. After I had attended all the swap meets, local fairs and other get togethers and listed my wares in the 'Buy and Sell' newspaper, I sold speakers to my parents, friends, neighbours, relatives, school teachers and local drug dealers. I even talked the stereo shop (there were two in my little town) guys into putting a set or two on display.

Once those dried up, I had to face the hard reality that this wasn't going to be my source of income so I returned to loving it as a hobby and moved on. Not trying to discourage you but it's a tough way to make a living or even spare cash for that matter. Kinda like shovelling snow in Florida. Unless you have something that is better bang for the buck or that much different than the next guy, you'll have a hard time doing anything more than just building as a hobby.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What Cal mentions is a problem in general with audio, the small guys have little chance. (I know I struggled for 14yrs with this reality)

If you are looking to fund new projects I would post the systems you are looking to move in swap meet, there may be members local to you who might be interested in taking a pair off of your hands if particularly well executed.

I actually managed to sell a project pair surplus to my needs for about 20% of original cost.. :D You might do a lot better as I really needed the space and wanted them out of here quickly.

Let's say you have a good job, and have enough loose money you could go shopping for some good speakers or amps or whatever. Would you think of finding a local guy making speakers or amps in his basement as your source? The problem is even if your speakers are dynamite (I mean really great, not that they explode) you need to make people aware they even exist, then give them a reason to want to check them out.

You may have noticed various products being advertised. Cars, beer, movies, you name it. The whole point of that is to make potential customers aware. How can you do the same with a limited budget? There is your local Craigs list. There may be various community gatherings you might p[articipate in, I have no idea how many other ways you might try.

You also need to have customers in a place willing to buy. I mean a head place, not necessarily the location. I mean, if you are walking into a movie or sporting event, and a guy is selling really good matresses by the entrance, would you really buy a matress on your weay into such an event? So while some people sell flowers on street corners to motorists stopped at traffic lights, selling speakers that way might be difficult.

I'd call your speaker business as a "cottage industry." In the world of guitar amps, there are smalal boutique makers selling amps. Some might make money, others might be coverinhg expenses and living on the fame. But if they had to sell them in one town, they'd be screwed. The internet saves them.

All good points....

I'm having a bit of luck with really custom systems, like people who know me design something just for them but its slow going.

But hey, I might as well try going to a local art fair. We have a lot of very wealthy people around our area that may bite

And cal that's impressive. 32.... I'm at like 4 and already running out of space

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The trouble with this is also the "White Van Speaker"...
True, I hadn't thought of that. They are nice and shiny and they come in a box marked $3495.00, but for you, today only, 500 bucks!
Cal: do still have the phone # of the drug dealer in post 2? E
Don't you have 1-800-DIAL-A-DOPE?
Actually I think most of those guys are either dead or simply 'missing'. I do live in Surrey after all. It's a short lived career. ;)
And cal that's impressive. 32.... I'm at like 4 and already running out of space
They do take up a lot of space. Multiple rooms in multiple locations. You can see 21 of them in my sig line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.