Lithium or NiMH batteries typ AA for digital cameras?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!:wave:
Which batteries for digital cameras are better?
Litihiums or NiMH typ AA batteries.
What is the difference in chargers for both types of batteries?
Is it can use the same charger for both types?:bulb:
Thank you!

Attachments

• Tip AA bateries.jpg
    Tip AA bateries.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Normally they need different chargers, but I'm sure there are some really smart chargers that can work with multiple types of battery (I came across an application note for using a microcontroller to do just that... link below).

NiMH are the safest choice, and Sanyo Eneloops (made in Japan) are probably the best kind of NiMH. They've worked far better in my digicam than other types of NiMH. It's not easy to find the Sanyos at a good price under the Sanyo brand name, but Duracell and Energizer sell them now. Duracell calls them "Rechargeable StayCharged" and the big clue is that they are "made in Japan". One Canadian drugstore routinely has them on sale for as low as $8 for 4.

I would strongly advise getting a "smart charger" for NiMH cells. Otherwise, the cells will almost always be overcharged which is bad for them. I picked up a couple of the Rayovac "PS16-B Smart Charger" when Walmart had a deal on them. The included batteries weren't much good, but as far as I can tell it is a real smart charger that doesn't overcook the batteries. Proper smart chargers should be able to charge one cell at a time, and will have some indicator to show the status of each cell.

Smart chargers tend to be expensive, but you might be able to salvage charging chips from a scrapped laptop or something. Or use a microcontroller:
SIMPLYING MULTI-CHEMISTRY BATTERY CHARGERS
AVR450: Battery Charger for SLA, NiCd, NiMH and Li-Ion Batteries

Lithium batteries do store more energy per pound or whatever. But AFAIK they come in increments of 3.6V which doesn't work so well unless your camera is designed for that. The batteries normally have a built-in protection board, so charging just requires applying 4.1 to 4.2 volts.

There are non-rechargeable lithium cells, which have about the same voltage as an alkaline, very long shelf life, but cost a lot more. Good for stashing in an emergency survival kit.

Last edited:
Hello!
I have a digital camera BENQ GH600, it uses 4 AA batteries. Now I use it for 4xEfceell 1.2-ER 15/51 (AA/R6) by 2700mAh batteries. Show good results! On the Internet, nowhere can I find them?! As a battery charger for use ATABA AT-508 do not know ate a good charger?
As the best solution that I use the battery for Benq GH600 (NiMHili Lithium)
This charger can be used to provide lithium batteries?
Thanks and lived
See battery cherger ATABA AT-508!!:eek:
Thanks and cheers!

Attachments

• Battery Charger ATABA.JPG
    Battery Charger ATABA.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
According to Wiki, dangus and Frank Berry are right. They make 'em but only 3.6V. And they say they are rechargeable.

I am a big believer in rechargeable and have used the NiMH since they came out. I use them in everything I can. AAA, AA, D and 9V. Spend the money to start with so you always have them charged and ready in the fridge and you're good to go.

Which batteries for digital cameras are better?
Litihiums or NiMH typ AA batteries.
That depends on the camera's power management.
While some cameras work well with both types (especially Kodak CX and DX series and some cheap Nikons), others don't. (I.e. Olympus SP-310, SP-320, SP-350 didn't cope with the lower voltage of the NiMH.)
At lower temperatures the NiMH seem to be better.

Last edited:
Best NiMH? I'm sold on the Sanyo Eneloops, or at least the "Duraloop" version. They seem to last very long in my digital camera. It may help that I've only ever charged them with a smart charger.

SAFT nicads must be good: I've got a pack that is well over 20 years old that holds a useful charge and doesn't seem to self-discharge much. They're about the largest cells I've ever seen, type F, 7000 mAH capacity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.