free stuff you've found

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HAhahaha. Part of my hobby involves snatching garbage equipment!

Over the years, since I was about 9 (I'm 16 now), I have collected myriads of working TVs, vcrs, radios, nice amplifiers, comptuers, etc from dumpster bins behind shops. I found a matched set of two front and two rear active infinity car speakers. I put them in mom's car and they sound completley awesome for just two 6x9s and a pair of 5s in the front!

Ham radio has given me some nice junk too. Gotta singer metrics panalyzor system. I'm not sure of its age, but it's mixed tubes and transistors and weighs about 250lbs. Perfect working condition and very well built.

I got a Dynaco MKIII almost working out of a heap of mess for free. And a nice Telefunken radio.

Every time we move I seem to get something left behind by the previous tenants. I found a Telefunken Opus in mint condition with original tubes at one place. Gotta Grundig console in mint from another.

At my school, just this year I got a Stark 12-22A tube tester in good condition, a bunch of signal generators, a few oscilloscopes, a hallicrafters S-107 radio, Allied SX-190, Heathkit Mohican, and best of the crew, a Marconi CSR5 in almost perfect condition with user manual and service info, this thing is from 1944 or earlier and still is the best radio I've ever seen in my life. Also found about 30 computers, 10 of which are going to become a beowulf cluster since they are 166Mhz with 1.2Gig drives and 32MB of ram each.

A friend of mine found a 36" sony tv in perfect working condition in a dumpster behind a shop. He still has it. That's to go in with about 4 other working tv's from the same dumpster (also where I got the infinity speakers).

Other people's junk is certainly my treasure. I've probably payed less than $100.00 per $10000.00 worth of equipment in everything I have...:bawling: :D

Loads of stuff... lots and lots of parts (some quite old, like VFD displays, weird leds, huge semiconductors, and the works :) Most notably, i got a couple of fantastic speakers from my ex-girlfriends' family - they were tossing them to the garbage and all that was wrong with them was a tweeter with a broken dust dome. Replaced it and it's playing my music as we speak...

I'd like to try dumpstering, but I doubt I'd have too much luck here in Oregon. The tech sector has been in the toilet lately, and people are being a lot more careful with what they get rid of. Used to be you could find all kinds of perfectly functional telecom/computer/network equipment that just got tossed out after the last upgrade cycle, but I don't think that's really the case anymore. Lots of places have wised up to the wonders of eBay as well, and there're a number of technology recycling centers up here, plus a Goodwill on every corner.

Ah well, it's not like I could lug a TV home on my bike anyway ;)

some stuff I have found

Attachments

• img_0599.jpg
    img_0599.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 173
The cabinets are in perfect condition. their labelled "DB Plus" made in Canada. "10 year warranty"

Im hoping someone ( maybe our Canadian friends) knows something about the above speakers. The tweeters are quite strange as the have foam around the tweeters - maybe to absorb stray sound waves????

As you can see the woofer surrounds are gone. The woofers seem to have a dicast frame.

I got for free a (non working) Quad 405 which is almost :nod: repaired. Last week I got a nice Philips 1974 30 watts class a reciever from which I disconnected the preamp and tuner. Now I've got a nice class a sound from my speakers. I also got some big heathsinks for a class a amp to be.

Something I didnt pick up...

Not long ago I saw a set Bose 301's sitting by the side of the road. They looked as though they had water logged and then beaten with a hammer. Wish I had the camera with me, it would have been worth stopping for a photo.

My sister in law found a nice border collie. A wonderful animal if it could have controlled its acoustic and fluid emissions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.